Pages

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Manga Review: Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Volume 3, by Naoko Takeuchi



Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5
Publisher: Kodansha Comics (USA)
Volumes: 18; 12 omnibus (which is this one, I think?)

Goodreads Synopsis:

 Tuxedo Mask gone bad?! As more of her closest allies fall under the power of the evil Queen Beryl, Usagi comes closer to discovering the truth behind her past. The stage is set for an all-out battle for the fate of Earth between the Sailor Guardians and the forces of evil. But when the dust settles, a little girl calling herself “Usagi” falls from the sky and right into the arms of Mamoru. What is her connection to Sailor Moon and why does she want the Legendary Silver Crystal?

Available on Amazon.

Review:

I read volume two of this forever ago (meaning: over the summer), and was a little blurry as to what had happened, and I hadn’t reviewed it, but I didn’t want to re-read it. So, I just went ahead and read this one. It took me a tiny bit of time to get back into it, but once I was, it went by rather quickly.
I said in my first review that I was impressed with this series, given how not impressed I had been with the prequel and what little I had seen of the anime, and that’s still true. I’m rather surprised with how good this series is, and really pleased and enjoying it a lot.
In the last volume, the evil Metalia turned Tuxedo Mask evil, which was horrible, and I thought he would be stuck that way for several more volumes, but he changed in this volume. I was very pleasantly surprised by this, but am so glad, since he’s one of my favorite characters, if not my actual favorite.
There was some fighting with Queen Metalia, and she started darkening the world for a bit before she was overthrown. I wasn’t surprised by this when it happened, but was curious as to where the series was going to go from there. The girls all got more powerful after that happened, the crystal was fixed and the moon kingdom was repaired. The girls have a tiny bit of time to relax, and then a little girl, claiming her name is Usagi, interrupts Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Mask by falling from the sky and landing on top of them. Also, a man, who I believe to be Sailor Mars’ love interest, shows up, named Asanuma, and I’m looking forward to the development there.
A new enemy shows up, and the goings-on seem to be very much like what happened with Metalia. Including some kidnappings, another thing I’m suspecting is going to happen often. I hope something happens to shake the story up, but I’m kind of expecting nothing will. Still, I’m enjoying it.
I still don’t think I know any of the girls enough to say who I like most and who I don’t. I have a soft spot for Venus, and I enjoy reading all of the love stories, and am looking forward to reading more of those in future volumes. I’m having a hard time remembering what all of their names are, and am just getting down what planet they are.
I’m interested to find out more about little Usagi, since she seems to maybe be lying, and she’s lost, and I really want to know what her connection with Sailor Moon is. I really like Tuxedo Mask, but I’m not a fan of any of his names. There’s Endymion, his past name, Mamo-chan (as Sailor Moon calls him, but I guess Mamoru is all right), his present name, and then Tuxedo Mask, his superhero name, which I maybe like most, but still think should be Tuxedo Man.
Overall, I rather enjoyed this volume. There was a bit of a cliffhanger, and I’m looking forward to reading the next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment