Pages

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Manga Review: Strobe Edge, Volume 3, by Io Sakisaka



Rating (Out of 5): ~4
Publisher: VIZ Media (Shojo Beat)
Volumes: 10
Spoilers?: Some/Yes.

Goodreads Synopsis:

What is love, anyway? Ninako Kinoshita’s friends tell her it’s one thing, but Ninako wonders what this mysterious feeling really is. When she meets Ren Ichinose, the handsome, enigmatic guy that all the girls worship, her life takes an unexpected turn. With just a few words and a smile, he changes her world... Releases R to L (Japanese Style) for teen audiences.

Review:

I can’t really explain why, but this series is still kind of refreshing. I mean, it falls into some cliché’s, and I’m waiting for it to fall into more, but it’s just rather good. It’s got drama, but it’s not heavy in it, it’s also not heavy in romance, even if that is the main plots.
So, there’s some drama between Ninako and her feelings for Ren and Ando’s feelings for her. I am still unsure/not a fan of Ren, and really like Ando, but have dreadful feelings toward what is going to happen with them.
Ninako has some troubles with the previous girls who liked Ren, she has some words with Ren about it, things get cleared up with him. Then some stuff gets cleared up with Ando.
The school festival happens. This is just rather fun; Ninako’s class is trying to come up with something fun, then someone to bring their class attention, and Ninako really wants to do it. Then there’s a mix-up about Ando being sick, as Ninako gets the wrong message and thinks he’s dying, when he’s perfectly healthy. Then Ren starts tutoring Ninako and she gets a part time job where Ando also works. Then there’s some stuff with Ren and Ninako and Ren’s girlfriend, and finally a confrontation with Ando and Ninako, which can either turn into something serious or a joke in the next volume.
This volume was just full of hilarity and odd situations and miscommunicating, and love. There was a lot of focus on Ninako loving Ren and Ando loving Ninako. And I’m rooting fully for Ando; I love him. He’s adorable and sweet and hilarious, and Ninako needs to wake up. I have hopes for him, but I’m doubtful. We also got some glimpses of Daiki and Sayuri’s developing relationship, which I rather like. I hope we get more of them in later volumes. Just as I look forward to seeing more of Ando. 
This was a good, fun, cute volume. I like the characters, I like the story, the development is nice. I am just really enjoying this, and now am looking forward to reading the next volume, especially now that I have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment