Pages

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Novel Review: Wait for You (Wait for You, #1) by J. Lynn



Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5-4
Genre: NA Contemporary Romance
Publisher: HarperCollins
Release Date: February, 2013
Spoilers?: No.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Some things are worth waiting for …

This is the book you’ve been waiting to read since you put down One Day and Fifty Shades of Grey.

Some things are worth experiencing

‘Cam stole my heart’
‘One of the most endearing, touching and fun friends-to-lovers I’ve read’
‘Gripping … the sweetest yet hottest romance

And some things are worth fighting for …

Avery knows she should stay away from Cam Hamilton: he might be the hottest guy on campus but she really doesn’t need that sort of drama right now. Love is best left in the past – along with her troubles. But sometimes, the last thing you want, is just the thing you need …

The Cover:

I rather like the UK cover (as seen above). It's simple, very not-embarrassing, plus it has some meaning to the book. Not as big as maybe something else would, but it still has semblance, and it's very pretty. The US cover is a lot more embarrassing, but I still think it's cute, and fitting.

Quotes:


  • "--oh, God—I actually knew what love felt like—bubbly warmth. What I was around him or thought about him, I felt like I imagined the bubbles in champagne did, constantly floating to the top.” (UK paperback, pg. 300) I just loved the imagery of this.
  • "And sometimes good people did bad things.” (Pg. 310)
  • "'He said something like things can’t be that bad if the sun is out and shining.’” (Pg. 318)
  • "'You cling to your silence because you’re a coward!’” (Pg. 339)
  • "Everything was okay. Maybe not perfect, but life wasn’t meant to be perfect. It was messy and sometimes it was a disaster, but there was beauty in the messiness and there could be peace in the disaster.” (Pg. 389)


Review:

This didn’t start off all that good, which had me worried, but it quickly had me hooked, and now I’m hoping to read more soon.
I know a lot of people haven’t been enjoying the new adult genre, but I’m honestly really excited for it. Sadly, I’ve only read a few in the genre at this point, but I’ve enjoyed what I’ve read, and want to read more of them. I’ve wanted there to be more college-age books for a while, and given how much I enjoy romance, they all seem right up my alley. I should really work on getting more.
The writing didn’t blow me away, but it wasn’t hard to get into. The book started a little too cliché, with "he’s the most popular boy in school and I can’t handle that", but strayed from that well enough after a while in the book.
I liked Avery, for the most part. And I liked Cam, for the most part. My biggest problems with them were how Avery kept pushing him away, over and over again, and how easily Cam let her. I understood why Avery was pushing him away, it just seemed like she was doing it past the point that it made sense. Past the point where he was showing her that he really was there for her. And maybe Cam didn’t give in as easily as it looked, from his point of view instead of hers; also, he might have been more persistent, as well, but I think that was just mentioned and we didn’t really get to see any of it.
Aside from that, I like the progression. There were a lot of moments where Avery and Cam were just getting to know each other, and I really liked that. There were a lot of sweet moments between them, some of which were steamy, but not too graphic. 
And the ending for them was really nice, as a couple and in other places in their lives. I liked the closure with Avery’s family, and with Molly (at least, the assumed where she’s going). We got to know their friends rather well, too, and that sets up some nice stories for the next books, I hope. I’m looking forward to reading the next book with Cam’s sister and Jase, and I hope the one after that has Brit and Ollie.

A review copy was provided by Cuddlebuggery's Little Blogger, Big Ambitions project. Thank you so, so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment