Pages

Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Manga Review: RWBY Official Manga Anthology, Volume 1


Rating (Out of 5): ~3
Publisher: VIZ Signature (VIZ Media)
Release Date: May 2018
Volumes: 4.
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 2.

Goodreads Synopsis:

 Straight from Rooster Teeth’s hit animation series, a new four-volume anthology series featuring stories from various manga creators, each focusing on a different member of Team RWBY!

The world of Remnant is filled with horrific monsters bent on the destruction of humanity. Fortunately, the kingdoms of the world have risen to combat these forces by training powerful Huntsmen and Huntresses at academies around the planet. Ruby Rose, Weiss Schnee, Blake Belladonna, and Yang Xiao Long are four such Huntresses in training.

All new short stories set in the world of RWBY from no less than twenty different manga creators in one single volume!

Includes a full color four-page story and four full-color illustrations. This volume focuses on Ruby Rose from TEAM RWBY.

Plus, bonus messages from the illustrators and creators, with longer notes from RWBY character designer Ein Lee and actress Lindsay Jones, the voice of Ruby Rose herself!

Review:

This is an anthology volume, by a ton of apparently new mangaka, and each volume is apparently about one character. This volume was about Ruby.
To note, I didn't recognize any of the authors. Some of them had better art than others, and there was a variety of styles. There was normal action plots, there were comedy and slice-of-life stories, and there were a few chibi and 4-koma ones.
I haven't read much of RWBY stuff, and I haven't watched the show. So I have very little to go by, aside from just reading some fun random stories. Some of these stories were a little too cheesy for me, and some were a little too random. I would like to think that it gave me a little more idea of what the girls' relationship with each other is. They're close, but still getting to know each other, it seems to me.
I didn't mind this volume. But I will admit that I don't think I love RWBY, at least not from what I've seen. I'm not sold.


 A review copy was provided by the publisher, VIZ Media, for an honest review. Thank you so, so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment