Pages

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Review: A Kiss in Time by Alex Flinn


Rating (Out of 5): ~3 - 3.5
Publisher: HarperCollins (HarperTeen)
Spoilers?: Minor

Goodreads Synopsis:

 Talia fell under a spell...Jack broke the curse.

I was told to beware the accursed spindle, but it was so enchanting, so hypnotic...

I was looking for a little adventure the day I ditched my tour group. But finding a comatose town, with a hot-looking chick asleep in it, was so not what I had in mind.

I awakened in the same place but in another time—to a stranger's soft kiss.

I couldn't help kissing her. Sometimes you just have to kiss someone. I didn't know this would happen.

Now I am in dire trouble because my father, the king, says I have brought ruin upon our country. I have no choice but to run away with this commoner!

Now I'm stuck with a bratty princess and a trunk full of her jewels...The good news: My parents will freak!

Think you have dating issues? Try locking lips with a snoozing stunner who turns out to be 316 years old. Can a kiss transcend all—even time?

Review:
I’ve only read one other book by Flinn, which was Beastly, and I really enjoyed it, and so I was hoping to enjoy this one just as much, which I did.
It’s a retelling of Sleeping Beauty, about Talia, who was awake a few hundred years ago, and was put under a sleeping spell. Only, when she’s woken up by a kiss from Jack, who was on a school field trip in the present time, she’s surprised to find that her village is gone, along with everyone from her time. She follows Jack back to his home, where she tries to get used to our time, while also getting closer to Jack and helping him and his family.
It’s told in alternating points of view, so I got somewhat close to the characters, and I enjoyed reading about them. I did like Talia, and Jack was sweet. And I did enjoy the storyline. Sleeping Beauty isn’t my favorite fairytale, but I did really enjoy this retelling of it. It was a… bit of a cute, fluffy one. It wasn’t very deep, or dark in any way. One thing that did bother me was that everything seemed to work out a little too easily. Talia had trouble at first, and Jack was having problems with his family, but she helped work that all out, and then they had some problems with the witch (you know, who put the spell on her), but that worked out, moderately easily, as well. I would have preferred a little more depth, but I still enjoyed it, nonetheless.
It was just a cute, light, fun, easy read. I haven't read her more recent retelling, Cloaked, but I have it and am planning to at some point.

------
Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment