Pages

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Manga Review: Kamisama Kiss, Volume 6, by Julietta Suzuki


Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5
Publisher: VIZ Media (Shojo Beat)
Volumes: 12+

Goodreads Synopsis:

Every year, kami from all over Japan gather in Izumo for a sort of divine convention. One of Mikage's friends comes to the shrine to invite Nanami to the retreat, but it turns out most of the other kami and Tomoe don't want her to go. Can Nanami prove she's kami enough to attend . . . or does she even want to bother?

Review:
 
I kind of like this series. I want to like it. And I'm not actually disliking it, I don't think. I'm just... not all that into it right now. Which kind of sucks, since I want to. Right now, I think, I'm reading it and waiting to see it get better, to suck me in again, like it did at the beginning. Well, and for Tomoe. Always for Tomoe.
Anyway, most of this volume focuses on this kami gathering, which Nanami wants to be allowed to go to, and so starts competing with this other girl for the last spot. Tomoe doesn't think it's a good idea, but Otohiko wants to test them, while already having chosen Nanami. The other girl gets super competitive, and upset when she finds out it's rigged.
But before that, they're tested by having to take care of these eggs for three days, nurturing it, giving it their energy and all that. The girl, Kayako, starts getting hurt because of the egg taking so much from her, while Nanami ends up accidentally cracking hers, and getting a rather good little monkey-like pet (which is so freakin' cute!). (She's kind of just collecting people and creatures, isn't she? Like with Mizuki, too. A little weird, but I don't really mind.) She gets to name it according to what she wants it to be able to do, and learns how to care for it and use it, which is good. I'm hoping she'll actually start learning how to use her own abilities, since she hasn't done any of that yet, but whatever. This is a step in the right direction, right?
Anyway, they have to deal with this evil spirit at the school, and Kayako is having trouble because of this guy, but it all mostly works itself out by the end of the volume. This volume was alright. I'm not jittery with exciting, nor am I super excited for the next one, but I will get it at some point. And hope that the series gets better soon, and that Nanami gets better soon. And, mostly, that there are more chapters focused on Tomoe, and that have him butting heads with people, hopefully Kurama but Mizuki is good too. (Um, yea, those are kind of my favorite scenes.)

1 comment: