Pages

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Manga Review: Missions of Love, Volume 1, by Ema Toyama



Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5
Publisher: Kodansha Comics
Publish Date: 2012
Volumes: 12+
Spoilers?: No/Minor.

Goodreads Synopsis:

In school, Yukina is a cold and distant girl; Shigure is the most perfect, good-looking guy. But the two of them have a secret, and their extraordinary "love affair" is about to start! Yukina, under the pen name 'Yupina', is actually a popular cell phone novelist. When she discovers Shigure's devious womanizing ways, she blackmails him to complete daring 'missions of love' for her to write about. Will these missions give them an opportunity to fall in love with each other?


Review:

I don’t know why it’s taken me so long to get this volume. I found out about the series late, then it took me forever to add it to the list, and then to actually get the volume. And while this volume did not grab me completely, I’m intrigued, and hope to get the next volume when I can.
Yukina, the heroine, is a cell phone novelist, and no one but a friend, Akira, knows this. A lot of people at her school read the stories, though, and that’s how she gets feedback, even though no one really talks to her. But then she starts hearing that people want romance, and she’s never been in love or kissed a guy or anything, so she’s clueless. But decides that she’s going to have to try some things out on a boy. And then, coincidentally, she starts interacting with Kitami, the good, popular boy in school, who she finds out isn’t actually very good.
I like Yukina, for the most part. She intimidates the people around her, she’s always studying them, she’s straightforward, and curious. I’m looking forward to getting to know her better. I wasn’t expecting Kitami to be a manipulative jerk, so I’m interested in seeing more of him, and liking him more since I don’t too much at the moment. I’m interested in how the two get closer and start liking each other, and get to know each other better.
Then there’s Akira, her friend (and cousin?). He seems to have feelings for her, and I’m not sure where that’s going to go. We’ll see in the next volume, I suppose, as he hasn’t done anything yet. We also got to meet Yukina’s parents, who are extremely lovey dovey. They’re adorable and hilarious and I hope they show up more in the next volume.
So, the characters surprised me, the story surprised me, and I’m interested, but not totally hooked yet. I hope to get the next volume soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment