Pages

Saturday, October 19, 2013

Novel Review: The Iron Daughter (The Iron Fey, #2) by Julie Kagawa



Rating (Out of 5): ~2.5
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance
Publisher: HarlequinTeen
Publish Date: 2010
Spoilers?: No.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron fey—ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her.

Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's stuck in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.

The Cover:

I like these covers, I suppose. They're not amazing, or gorgeous, but they're pretty. They represent the book relatively well.

Review:

I think I’m done with this series. I just… I don’t enjoy them. I don’t care for the writing. I don’t really care for the characters. I really want to, because of how much so many other people like them, but I just don’t. I didn’t like this when I was reading it, I don’t like it now that I’m finished. It’s possible I’ll pick up something else by Kagawa at some point, to see if I like her other stories, but for now I’m just done.
So Meghan is being held by the Winter fey, Ash is ignoring her, and she doesn’t know how to get out. The Iron fey attack, and one of the Winter princes is behind it, but the other Winter and Summer haven’t seen any Iron fey and so are ignoring the possibility. Meghan ends up going after the Iron when they kill another prince and steal the season triton, along with Ash for a while, then Puck for a while, with Grim and Ironhorse, a very nice, loyal Iron fey that I really liked. There are battles, and running away from fey, and hiding, and sneaking around, and death, and standing up to the leaders of the fey. All kinds of stuff. And I just didn’t really care.
I don’t care much for Meghan. She’s naïve, and learning but not really that great. I didn’t really care about Puck or Ash, either. Ash more than Puck, I guess, and I like what he did at the end of the book, but I was having a hard time believing their attraction. I just wasn’t feeling it, or believing it, or caring about it.
I like Grim, and how he knows what needs to be done and does it, but acts like it’s some huge imposition to him because of these stupid fey and humans around him. I like Ironhorse, a lot, and I’m not sure how that happened to fast. I love Ethan, and even though he only showed up for a very short time, he made everything better for that short time. He’s such a sweetheart. 
I liked the ending, and it made me want to know what happens next, but I really don’t think I’m going to be picking up the next books, at least not for a while. I want to pick up Ethan’s series, but I’m super wary and don’t think I will. I just really want to like this, but I don’t. It’s possible I’ll give something else by Kagawa a chance, but it’ll be a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment