Pages

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Novel Review: Zero by Tom Leveen



Rating (Out of 5): ~4
Genre: YA Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Random House
Release Date: 2012
Spoilers?: For the ending.

Goodreads Synopsis:

For aspiring artist Amanda Walsh, who only half-jokingly goes by the nickname Zero, the summer before college was supposed to be fun—plain and simple. Hanging out with her best friend Jenn, going to clubs, painting, and counting down the days until her escape. But when must-have scholarship money doesn't materialize, and she has a falling out with Jenn that can only be described as majorly awkward, and Zero's parents relationship goes from tense to relentless fighting, her prospects start looking as bleak and surreal as a painting by her idol Salvador Dali. Will life truly imitate art? Will her new, unexpected relationship with a punk skater boy who seems too good to be real and support from the unlikeliest of sources show Zero that she's so much more than a name.

The Cover:

Similar to Leveen's other covers, I also really like this one. The pictures give an idea of what is in the book, the band aspect, the lost part, and the wanting to get out part. I like how it represents the book, and I generally like the cover, as it's nice to look at and eye-catching.

Review:

This book surprised me. It was not what I expected, but it was still very good.
I really liked Amanda. She’s having a hard time, not really sure who she is or what she wants. I understood her really well. And I really liked seeing her grow up, figure out what she wants as opposed to what other people want and are pushing on her.
Then she meets Mike, who’s sweet and good to her, but just not right, right now. Their relationship is really good, but they’re just not ready for it yet. Maybe later. But right now, they need to grow up, on their own, not with each other. And that sucks. We’re left not knowing if there is a later, and I really hope so, because they could be so good together. The ending wasn’t bad, but I definitely wanted more.
The writing is really good, and does a very good job of portraying who Amanda is, her voice, and pulls you in.
I’m definitely a fan of Leveen’s. I’ve read three of his books now, and will definitely be getting his next books. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed everything I’ve read of his thus far, particularly with the voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment