Pages

Monday, July 7, 2014

Manga Review: Loveless, Volume 9, by Yun Kouga



Rating (Out of 5): ~4
Publisher: VIZ Media
Release Date: September 2012
Volumes: 12+
Spoilers?: No.

Goodreads Synopsis:

The long-awaited continuation of the bestselling series, a masterpiece tale of intrigue and innocence lost.

Reads R to L (Japanese Style) for T audiences.

When his beloved older brother is brutally murdered, Ritsuka is heartbroken but determined to search for answers. His only lead is Soubi, a mysterious, handsome college student who offers him an intimate link to his brother’s other life: a dark and vibrant world of spell battles and secret names. Will Ritsuka’s relationship with Soubi ultimately lead to the truth or further down the rabbit hole than he imagined possible?

Seimei is very much alive and has torn through the Seven Voices Academy like a whirlwind. As Septimal Moon struggles to right itself and keep its secrets from spilling out, a new enemy takes center stage: the unit named “Bloodless” wages a crippling psychological war, ending battles without spilling a single drop of blood. Yet Ritsuka and Soubi must emerge victorious against them—or lose Kio.

Review:

I’m just plain enjoying this series. I love the characters, and I enjoy getting to see little pieces of the minor ones developing along with the main. There are surprising little twists and turns. It’s a little messy at times, sure, but it’s just good.
I feel bad for Ritsuka. And I’m anxiously waiting for his show down with Seimei. It’s got to happen at some point. I’m guessing there are going to be some more surprised before it happens, but I’m waiting. It’s not going to be good, and Seimei is obviously up to something bad, but it needs to happen.
As I said in the previous review, I like all of the minor characters. I can’t remember any of their names’, but I like them. We met some new characters, some fighters that I’m not a fan of, and then a somewhat mystery surprise character. There was a bit of Kio in this volume, and I like him. It seems like he’s going to be playing a bigger part in the story in the future, and I’m intrigued by that.
There hasn’t been a lot of down time in the last few volumes; it’s been very plot heavy. I’m enjoying it, but I do hope something character driven will happen soon, particularly between Ritsuka and Soubi. I just want more of them together.
I’m glad that the color pages and extras after the chapters continued into the single volumes. I really enjoy them.
Now, off to the next volume.

No comments:

Post a Comment