Pages

Friday, December 11, 2015

Novel Review: Blue Bloods (Blue Bloods, #1) by Melissa de la Cruz



Rating (Out of 5): ~3
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance
Publisher: Hyperion
Release Date: 2006
Spoilers?: No.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Schuyler Van Alen has never fit in at Duchesne,her prestigious New York City private school. She prefers baggy, vintage clothes to the Prada and pearls worn by her classmates. But when she turns fifteen, Schuyler's life changes dramatically. The death of a popular schoolmate haunts her in unexpected ways. And strangest of all, Jack Force, the most popular boy in school, is showing a sudden interest in her.


Once an outcast, Schuyler is thrust into Manhattan's most exclusive social circle. Its members are the powerful, the wealthy, and - as Schuyler soon discovers - the unhuman. They are Blue Bloods, an ancient group of vampires, and for centuries they've been invincible. Now something is preying on this elite group, and Schuyler wants to find out the truth. But is she the most vulnerable of them all?


The Cover:

I love the covers in this series, including this one. It shows the high-class lifestyle of the characters and the city, and hints at the supernatural. I think it's very pretty, and it made me want to pick it up.

Review:

This is kind of like Gossip Girl with vampires.
This series has a very different take on vampires and immortality. I found the idea interesting, and their vampirism qualities I liked, including their visions. The immortality I had a harder time grasping. I suppose them actually dying and being reborn makes it easier to explain their age and whatnot, but I don’t understand how that works. How are they reborn so easily, and clearly some things change, like if they decide to fall in love with someone else. How does taking their blood when they die and remaking them later work? And how do they decide when to die, since they’re unable to when teenagers? I don’t understand.
Aside from that, this was an all right book. I found Schuyler’s character okay, an average character to follow, with an interesting backstory. I liked her friendship with Oliver, and possible relationship with Jack. I think I enjoyed Bliss more, with her trying to decide who she wants to be, trying to fit in with the popular crowd, and then falling for Dylan. Mimi I did not like at all, though I could understand her side of things. 
The pace was pretty slow, and the writing more intricate. The ending was interesting, but I don’t think I’ll be picking up the next one. It was just okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment