Pages

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Manga Review: Toriko, Volume 33, by Mitsutoshi Shimabukuro



Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5
Publisher: Shonen Jump (VIZ Media)
Release Date: April 5, 2016
Volumes: 38+
Spoilers?: Light.
Volume: 1. 32. 34.

Goodreads Synopsis:

In a savage world ruled by the pursuit of the most delicious foods, it's either eat or be eaten! While searching for the tastiest foods imaginable, Gourmet Hunter Toriko travels the world with his bottomless stomach, facing every beast in his way.

Toriko and the gang did it! They captured Acacia’s Salad—Air! However, the victory celebration is cut short when a familiar friend-now-foe, Teppei, steals Komatsu’s heart right out of his chest and disappears into the Back Channel! Now Toriko and the other Four Kings must travel to Area 7 to capture Acacia’s Soup, Pair, to save Komatsu! Ferocious Area 7 won’t be much of a party, but they’ll still have a ball…or two!

Review: 

I’m honestly surprised with how much I actually enjoy reading odd volumes of this series. It’s not something I would normally pick up, and it’s an odd series that I don’t always understand, but actually quite fun to read.
As the group is celebrating with their acquired food air, and trying it in all kinds of different ways, they’re attacked. And Komatsu is horribly wounded. Everyone does what they can to preserve him safely in a coma until they can find a cure, which means that they’re off on another trip to another island, where they will be able to heal him. This means they take a shark-train as transport, and fight a lot of odd animals, on their way to defeat the monkey king to get what they need.
At this point, I kind of just accept the odd world they’re in. There’s a lot of fighting, but I actually like seeing what weird creatures he (and the fans) comes up with. I do think this series is a little god-mode-y, with how the characters seem to defy death every time, but I can mostly overlook that. I don’t normally enjoy series that include constant unnecessary battles, but I don’t mind it here.
This is surprisingly fun, and I don’t mind seeing another volume show up in my mailbox.


A review copy was provided by the publisher, VIZ Media, for an honest review. Thank you so, so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment