Pages

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Manga Review: Noragami: Stray God, Volume 12, by Adachitoka



Rating (Out of 5): ~4
Publisher: Kodansha Comics
Release Date: March 22, 2016
Volumes: 16+
Spoilers?: Some.
Volume: 1. 11. 13.

Goodreads Synopsis:


Noragami: Stray God volume 12 features story and art by Adachitoka.
Furious that Yato has released her, the stray plots revenge against her rival. While Kōto has Yato distracted, she confronts Yukiné and lets him know that the gods have a secret…and it’s one Yato will do anything to keep. Hiyori is curious about this secret, too, but keeping Yukiné’s past a secret may be the key to protecting him.


Review:

We get a couple of revelations in this volume. One of them being what the gods’ secret really is, but also relating to that, we get to see Yato’s past.
The gods’ secret at first just seems very sad for both parties, but the reveal at the end is horrible and not quite what I expected. Yato’s past is just horrible and sad and I hate his father. When he was a kid he was taught horrible things, because he was made to be a certain type of god that he’s rebelling against now. Seeing a kid killing people will always be a terrible image, especially when done gleefully, ugh. Horrifying. Even worse when you already love the character.
Seeing him start to learn that other people don't find killing good, and when he wants so bad to make people happy, is so sweet though.
I don’t see how his father is ever going to be seen as a good character in any way, and I really hope that doesn’t happen. What he did to Yato, and how he treated Hiiro as well. There’s no coming back from that.
I’ve said this before, but I love how this series can have such serious moments, but so smoothly mix in some humor to lighten it up. Like when Yato finds out that Hiyori and his father know each other, and went to the amusement park together? Hilarious.
This series is just excellent, and I’m kind of obsessed with it at this point. I can’t wait for the next one.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree, Noragami is fantastic! I especially liked finding out what the gods' secret really was, because as you said, it wasn't quite what you'd expect.
    But what I really wanted to say was that I read through your blog a while back, and since I got TONS of suggestions for books and manga to read, I wanted to thank you for that. I look forward to more reviews and more inspiration in the future!
    - Therese

    ReplyDelete