Pages

Friday, February 19, 2016

Novel Review: Dirty Little Secret by Jennifer Echols



Rating (Out of 5): ~4
Genre: YA Contemporary Romance
Publisher: MTV Books
Release Date: 2013
Spoilers?: No.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Bailey wasn’t always a wild child and the black sheep of her family. She used to play fiddle and tour the music circuit with her sister, Julie, who sang and played guitar. That ended when country music execs swooped in and signed Julie to a solo deal. Never mind that Julie and Bailey were a duet, or that Bailey was their songwriter. The music scouts wanted only Julie, and their parents were content to sit by and let her fulfill her dreams while Bailey’s were hushed away.

Bailey has tried to numb the pain and disappointment over what could have been. And as Julie’s debut album is set to hit the charts, her parents get fed up with Bailey’s antics and ship her off to granddad’s house in Nashville. Playing fiddle in washed-up tribute groups at the mall, Bailey meets Sam, a handsome and oh-so-persuasive guitarist with his own band. He knows Bailey’s fiddle playing is just the thing his band needs to break into the industry. But this life has broken Bailey’s heart once before. She isn’t sure she’s ready to let Sam take her there again…
 

The Cover:

I really like this cover. I think it's pretty, simple but eye-catching, and gives a good idea of the book. I also appreciate that it focuses more on the music, which is a very important part of the book, and not just the romance. It also has the right instrument, and gives just a glimpse of the romance. I like it a lot.

Review:

I am definitely a fan of Echols at this point. I’ve only read a few, but I’ve been impressed with all of them so far, and I have more to get to, thankfully.
Bailey has grown up loving music and playing it with her sister. But now things have changed, and she isn’t supposed to be doing anything related to music anymore. She’s not even talking to her sister at the moment. And then she meets Sam, who’s in a band with big plans, and he wants her to join. She’s reluctant, she knows she could get in trouble for it, but it’s what she really wants.
Bailey’s parents frustrated me, but I like the way that Bailey finally goes after what she wants, and how her sister is right there for her. There is definitely angst between Bailey and Sam, but it was fun, and I liked them together. I liked seeing the struggle that Bailey went through, I believed it, and it was nice to see how it all worked out.
I really enjoyed this book, and it definitely makes me want to pick up another.

No comments:

Post a Comment