Pages

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Manga Review: Ani-Imo, Volume 4, by Haruko Kurumatani



Rating (Out of 5): ~3
Publisher: Yen Press
Release Date: August 2015
Volumes: 7.
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 1. 3. 5.

Goodreads Synopsis:


Despite his trepidations, Youta agrees to check into a love hotel with Yurika in pursuit of the two who now inhabit their bodies. Youta is pleasantly surprised by the hotel accommodations, but surprise turns to shock when he hears moans emanating from Hikaru's neighboring room! The experience leaves Youta deeply shaken. Is he protective of his sister's purity as her big brother, or is it because he wants to defile her himself?!


Review:

I think why I’m trying so hard to like this series, is because I want more like it. I want mature, smutty shojo (or josei) series, including ones with surprising twists. I want books like this! Why am I not liking the ones that Yen Press is releasing? Ugh.
My biggest problem with this volume is Yurika. She’s in Mayama’s body right now, and is pushing herself on Youta in Hikaru. And then Yurika starts a benefits relationship with Mayama. And I hate her. She’s practically forcing herself on Youta, and then using Mayama with no intent for anything more. I don’t like Yurika as a character, and I don’t like what Yurika stands for.
I don’t mind Youta and Hikaru’s relationship too much. I think there have been moments of vulnerability between them that I liked, but the way that Hikaru manipulates Youta is distasteful to me. I’m not even sure how I feel about Youta as a character, honestly. He’s weak and conflicted, for a reason, but I just don’t think I really care for him. I like the smutty moments we get between them, but the fact that I’m not a fan of their characters is lessening my enjoyment.
The only character I did like was Mayama, and now he’s being dumb about Yurika. The cliffhanger makes me a little interested, but I’m not sure if it’s enough to read more. It’s just all the same stuff, and then I don’t even like the psychology and biological aspects used to explain what happened to them. We even met a new body-swapping couple, and they didn’t really help matters.
I just don’t like what I'm getting with this series at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment