Pages

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Manga Review: Oresama Teacher, Volume 5, by Izumi Tsubaki


Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5
Publisher: VIZ Media (Shojo Beat)
Volumes: 13+

Goodreads Synopsis:

Mafuyu is looking forward to a relaxing day at the beach after all the recent commotion at school. But with Takaomi tagging along she should have known better than to expect calm and quiet. He plays rescuer to a couple getting harassed by delinquents and of course makes everything worse. Now Mafuyu has to save her vacation and her teacher!

Review:
I am enjoying this series, and am a little frustrated that I am so far behind because I never get to the bookstore and they never seem to have the volumes or series that I want. Um, anyway... This volume was good.
It starts off pretty much where the last one ended, with Mafuyu (the main character) and Saeki (her teacher) at the beach, hanging out or whatever. Mafuyu is helping Saeki out on something, and they end up, rather hilariously, trying to pretend to be a couple. Then they save these two people from some gang members, and going with those two people, who turn out to be servants at this mansion place, and then helping out the rich girl who lives there (who forms a kinship with Saeki, because of their similar personalities) and her servants for a couple of chapters. It was all fun and cute, and very funny, and it's been too long since I read it. (Augh, I've been putting off a couple of my manga reviews for far too long, and now the books are a little too blurry in my mind and my excitement for them has lessened way too much.)
Then there is a chapter about Okegawa (the bancho), who saves some flowers and starts being followed by flowers and wants a close friend, and he hangs out with Mafuyu and Hayasaka. Mafuyu finds out that her fellow masochistic friend was the mysterious person in town in the previous volume (I believe?), while Hayasaka and Okegawa stay oblivious to the fact that he was looking for her. And Mafuyu and Okegawa are still oblivious to the fact that they have been sending letters to each other; which I am looking forward to them finding/am hoping they find out soon.
In the (kind of) last chapter, Mafuyu and Hayasaka get, um, warning letters from, I believe, the student council, and one of their members (or someone from that club they are unknowingly competing against?) starts following them, in a rather ninja like style. Mafuyu, and even Saeki, become aware of it and are suspicious, but Hayasaka is oblivious.
And then there are, maybe, twenty pages of strip-comics, mostly featuring the gang from Mafuyu's old school and the gang they competed against (I think?). This wasn't as funny as I was hoping, since I didn't know (or remember?) some of the characters, but once I got used to them, it was. And I liked seeing her second and third from her old gang, as they are so much fun to watch.
This was a good volume (this is a good series), and I want to read the next one. They're usually really funny and I'm enjoying reading about the characters, and hoping that they'll stick in my head better soon (since sometimes after I read a volume, the characters and what happened, is just gone from my memory, and I have to do a somewhat thorough skim of the book in order to remember). I'm really hoping to get the next one soon. But, we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment