Pages

Friday, July 6, 2012

Manga Review: Dengeki Daisy, Volume 8, by Kyousuke Motomi


Rating (Out of 5): ~4/4.5
Publisher: VIZ Media (Shojo Beat)
Volumes: 12+
Spoilers?: Yea, somewhat minor, though.

Goodreads Synopsis:

After orphan Teru Kurebayashi loses her beloved older brother, she finds solace in the messages she exchanges with DAISY, an enigmatic figure who can only be reached through the cell phone her brother left her. Meanwhile, mysterious Tasuku Kurosaki always seems to be around whenever Teru needs help.

Review:

I really like this series. It’s one of my current favorites from Shojo Beat, and I’m not happy about the fact that we’re pretty much caught up with Japan and so will have to wait longer between volumes.
It doesn’t really even matter if something exciting happened or not, I’m still enjoying it and looking forward to the next one.
This volume was a bit slower than the last, but still very good. It started with showing us that Kurosaki is gone and Teru is upset. Kurosaki is trying to get some answers, beating up people and stuff, and Teru is upset about what happened and Kurusaki’s disappearance. And Kurosaki has ideas about how she would react to it all and that it was a set up, but still avoids her. (Augh, Kurosaki! Not cool.) Eventually, Teru gets cheered up and determined with the thought that she needs to get to Kurosaki and help him, instead of having him help her like he usually does. Aside from that, the majority of the volume focuses on Teru being told the story of Kurosaki and her older brother Soichiro and the Jack Frost virus.
I hadn’t really thought about when this would happen, but I enjoyed the story. I liked learning how Kurosaki got involved with it all, and seeing the quiet pretty boy that he was at first, and how he grew to think of Soichiro as an older brother as well. It was sweet and funny and well done, and I liked it, much like I enjoy everything else to do with this series. Motomi is really good at these kinds of scenes, the ones that can be cute and funny, and then heartwarmingly sweet, and maybe a bit nostalgic, which is what this volume is filled with.
I’m not surprised by most of the story (although, there were a few parts…), and was glad to see it all told like this. I just really enjoyed it, mostly. I did like getting to see all of the minor characters. Several of the people that worked with Soichiro got mixed up in my head, and I was glad to get to see who they were, what their part was, and get an actual idea of their personalities. And while I already knew and liked Boss, I liked seeing his part in it. How he worked very under cover, and took in Kurosaki. That was just sweet and adorable.
I just really like this series, as I’ve already said. I like pretty much everything about it, and just eat up the books as soon as I get them. I already have the next one, and want to start it as soon as possible, so the review for that will probably be up very soon (or at least, it should be). I’m hoping, and expecting, Teru and Kurosaki to meet up in the next one, and am really looking forward to it; for them to work everything out, and for the impending romance between them to spark up (probably wishful thinking for it to happen so soon, but still).

No comments:

Post a Comment