Pages

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Manga Review: Marmalade Boy, Volume 7, by Wataru Yoshizumi



Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5
Publisher: Tokyopop
Volumes: 8

Goodreads Synopsis:


And you thought your family was strange? Miki's world gets turned upside down when her parents swap spouses with another couple and all decide to live together under one roof. It only gets weirder when Miki falls in love with her new stepbrother Like a dysfunctional version of the Brady Bunch, Marmalade Boy will hook readers with its odd premise and wacky relationships.


Review:

Ahhhhhhh, I only have one volume left! How is that possible?! I, like, just started it, and now I’m done with seven volumes and I only have one left and then what do I do? I mean, I guess I’ll read those other manga waiting for me… But I will have no more Marmalade Boy and I am not happy about that.
Le sigh, but anyway…
I was thinking, when I started this, that Meiko was only going to talk with Nachan, not that she was going to get back together with him, but it became apparent within, oh, two pages, that I was wrong. Although their reunion scene was very sweet and I really like Meiko and I like that Nachan makes her happy and loves her back, and I accept their relationship. I think I actually just want more Meiko and Ginta. Not them together, but their relationships with Nachan (or Miwa, I would have liked either one) and Arimi. I just want some more of their obvious loving and cute stuff. There haven’t been as many nice, intense, romantic scenes between Miki and Yuu. Although there have been a lot of cuddly stuff. Which makes sense, since this series was in Ribon, which is a magazine targeted to younger girls.
Anyway, after that: there’s a guest staying with Miki and Yuu’s family, whose only real point is to make Yuu wonder about his real dad again. There’s a scene between Meiko and Miwa, which I liked but made me feel bad for him. Oh, because along with Meiko and Nachan getting together again, they also got engaged, and Meiko’s parents aren’t too happy about it yet, but they’ll accept it soon enough, I’m sure.
The rest of the volume is taken up with some serious drama between Miki and Yuu. Yuu found old pictures of their parents together in college, when they weren’t told they knew each other in college, and so Yuu is sure, now, that his father is Jin, Miki’s dad. Which is obviously terrible because that means that him and Miki are actually related. So, of course, without telling anyone but Miwa what he’s found out, he breaks up with her. They are both devastated about it, Meiko is upset on Miki’s behalf, and Yuu decides that he has to go to a different university, far away, because he can’t live with Miki any longer if he can’t be with her. Which is all terrible and sweet at the same time.
At the end of the volume, Yuu has left for school, as he’s been accepted and they’ve graduated, and Miki is still trying to get over him. Miki gets a haircut that makes her look older and more mature, and is determined to start anew, fresh.
I don’t want it to be over, but I want to find out what happens much too badly to wait. I’m sure that it’s going to be that they are not actually related and Yuu has been anguished by this for too long for no reason, and that they are going to get back together.
Now, I am going to go read the last one and see what happens.

Sidenote: in the side panels of the book, there’s a lot of talk from the author. Some of it is choppy, like the dialogue gets every once in a while, which bothers me, but I can look past it. The author has been talking a lot about the extra stuff coming out with Marmalade Boy, though, which just depresses me. All of these video games and movies and TV shows and plushies and all kinds of goodies, and, for one, they are probably hard to find now because of how long ago they were released, but they’re also not released in America. Which just sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment