Pages

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Novel Review: Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs

              Genre: Adult Paranormal Romance

Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5
Publisher: Penguin (Ace)
Spoilers?: No/Very Minor.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Mercy Thompson's life is not exactly normal. Her next-door neighbor is a werewolf. Her former boss is a gremlin. And she's fixing a VW bus for a vampire. But then, Mercy isn't exactly normal herself.

Available on Amazon.

Review:

I have had this book on my shelf for way too long, and I even started it a while ago and then paused it. Finally, though, I decided to actually read it, and really quite enjoyed it. I was even a bit surprised by how much.
Moon Called is the first in the series, and it’s about Mercedes Thompson, a coyote shapeshifter who lives next door to a werewolf alpha, works with a gremlin, works for vampires (as well as humans), and is involved with many other supernatural creatures.
Mercedes, a.k.a. Mercy, is a mechanic, and she knows what she’s doing. Having mostly grown up with werewolves, she knows how to handle them well, when to push and when not to. She knows when to ask questions, and how to deal with creatures, and even when she should back off and concede. She doesn’t seem to just barge into things without actually thinking about it, while still having a spark inside her, which I very much like. She also dislikes when women are put down, are thought of as less, because of their gender, which I also liked about her. And she’s humorous; fun to be inside the head of.
I just really liked her, and look forward to getting to know her even better in the next books.
In this book, we not only get to know the other characters in Mercy’s life, but her past. She goes back home and sees her kind-of-adopted-father, we get some information about her mother, and an old flame comes into the picture. Quite a bit happened in this book, what with her past relations and her new ones having problems.
I really liked the plot movement, the characters, the interactions between them all. I was surprised by this, and very glad, as it caused me to get through this book rather quickly (although longer than I wanted to, as I really just wanted to finish the book, but I had all this homework that took precedence, as well as sleep that I needed to do…).
Now, the romance. For some reason (perhaps because of the other books I have read in this genre), I was expecting a lot more romance. There was very little, though. We’re set up with two guys, both very good and interesting, but nothing actual physical happened (aside from a tiny bit of kissing), nor did much talking about it happen. There was a lot more action-based stuff happening that Mercy needed to focus on, which she knew, and she did.
And it says quite a bit that there was almost no romance in the majority of the book, and yet I still really liked it.
I hope to read the next one really soon, because this was a really good start, and I hope it only gets better from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment