Pages

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Manga Review: Sakura Hime: The Legend of Princess Sakura, Volume 9, by Arina Tanemura



Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5-4
Publisher: VIZ Media (Shojo Beat)
Spoilers?: No; this review is extra vague.
Volumes: 12

Goodreads Synopsis:

Sakura is the granddaughter of a mysterious moon princess who slew demons with her Blood Cherry Blossom sword. All her life Sakura has been forbidden to look at the full moon without knowing why. Then one night, unhappy over her impending marriage, Sakura gazes up at the moon, only to see a demon attacking her...

Princess Sakura has been staying at the estate of Fujimurasaki, the future emperor. Fujimurasaki tells Sakura he loves her and keeps her hidden from Aoba. Sakura yearns to be reunited with Aoba, but he's to marry Princess Yuri...

Available on Amazon.

Review:

This volume… Ugh, this volume, the ending, is so mean. I’m not happy about it.
First, though, the beginning of the volume had the conclusion to the Princess Yuri plot line, which was a bit anticlimactic, and not nearly as exciting or intense or violent as I had been expecting. I’m not going to spoil Yuri’s reasoning behind what she was doing to Aoba and Sakura, but the whole thing seemed to have started from something small that was blown out of proportion, and then Yuri does this thing to do with Fujimurasaki, and I just didn’t really care much for Yuri anymore at that point. I’m kind of done with her.
Although, I am a tiny bit confused. Aoba was being forced into having a concubine, and the elders chose Yuri, but I don’t think it was cleared up as to whether or not he’s still going to have to choose another one? Maybe I missed that part, but it didn’t seem like the only option was Yuri, and like it would have to be someone. I mean, Aoba did work it out with Sakura, the whole being forced into it and how he really only wants her, but after that thing happened with Yuri, it just seemed to all be ignored. So…?
Anyway, then there are a couple of chapters focused on Aoba and Sakura. Because he won’t stay the night with her (only to sleep, nothing else), and she gets upset and curious, and ends up finding this thing out about him. I’m not going to spoil it, but it was a bit sad, and gave the opportunity for some very sweet scenes between the two. I don’t really see why he wanted to keep it a secret, why he was so worried, given the similarities between him and their friends, but at the same time I do kind of understand. I think he should have told her, that she was obviously going to accept it, but I still kind of understand.
Now, aughhh, the last plot point of this volume. I don’t want to spoil it, but… Well, first, we find out that the group is talking with Shuri, who I guess is done following Enju, and they talk about not knowing where Enju or Rurijo are, and then she shows up, and her and Hayate start doing this thing, and she does this other thing, and it’s horrible.
I told you I don’t want to spoil it, so I’m staying extra vague, but given how much I love Hayate, it is horrible. I am not happy about it, and I’m mad at Rurijo for it, and Hayate for being so stupid, and I want to know what happens so bad. I want the next book so badly, because I do not like there being a cliffhanger to such an important thing with Hayate. It is not okay. I’m not okay with it.
At the end of the volume, there were some comic strips that were cute and funny, and one had a sweet scene between Kohaku and Hayate. They were all rather funny, though.
I’m just… not over the thing with Hayate. And I’m ready for the next volume. Although, apparently, I'm going to have to wait till June. I mean, I knew that we were pretty much caught up with Japan, and that there'd be a longer wait, but I didn't think it would be that long.

No comments:

Post a Comment