Pages

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Manga Review: Sequence by Ryo Saenagi


Notice how it doesn't say volume one?

Rating (Out of 5): ~3
Publisher: Tokyopop
Volumes: 16 chapters, so three volumes? Maybe incomplete? Tokyopop defuncted it at one volume.

MangaUpdates Synopsis:

As punishment for being late to class, Kanata has to ring a bell in an old, deserted church near his high school. When the floor breaks, Kanata falls into a vast room, where he discovers a coffin--and inside, the body of a vampire. The vampire rises, killing Kanata. But Kanata's soul is saved, and when he later meets the vampire, they realize that they are bound to each other through a magic spell: If Kanata dies, the vampire dies, too

On Amazon, and Goodreads.

Review:

So, I actually kind of enjoyed this book. It was a pretty straight three stars, and I would have liked to read more, had it not been for the fact that this is the first book in a series and I didn’t know that. I almost want to rate it lower because of this.
Now, my main problem with this being the first in a series, is that the book does not say it’s volume one. It does not have a number on it, leading me to believe that it’s a one-shot, stand-alone manga. It’s not. There’s even a bit of a cliffhanger.
And this wasn’t even a newer release by Tokyopop, like before they shut down; it was apparently released in 2006 and they shut down in 2011. I don’t understand why they would have released one volume, without even putting it on the book that it’s volume one, when they could have released more. That just doesn’t make any sense to me.
And there are apparently sixteen chapters, this volume includes six, and the author has maybe stated that the series isn’t finished.
The fact that I bought this book recently, assuming it to be a one-shot, and found out later that it’s actually part of a series, upsets me.
And, I don’t really have much else to say; don’t even know what else to say. I mean, the book was actually a bit interesting; the story line was interesting, I wanted to find out more about Titi and where he came from, this maybe vampire who I’m not totally sure is a boy, and wouldn’t mind knowing more about the other characters as well: the main character, Kanata, and his three friends. It didn’t leave me dying for more, but it did leave me wanting to know more.
But, just, what’s the point? It’s not all translated online and it was last updated in 2008, and Tokyopop didn’t even bother to put it on the book that it’s not a stand-alone. It might not even be finished in Japan.
I would have liked this book, but the way Tokyopopt went about it just angers me so much; I wouldn’t suggest anyone pick it up, just for the fact that you’re not going to get any sort of ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment