Pages

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Teaser Tuesday[27]: Jumpstart the World by Catherine Ryan Hyde (And a Happy New Year!)

Teaser Tuesday is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

• Grab your current read
• Open to a random page
• Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
• BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (Make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
• Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

-------------

Happy New Year! Yay! Hope it’s off to a good start for everyone.
I reached my novel reading goal, reading a total of 111, ten more than last year, which makes me super happy. What about all of you? Did you have a goal, or are you setting one for this year?
Are you making New Year resolutions? I’ve never done that, and I don’t know if I’m going to start this year or not.
Here’s what I’m reading right now:
Jumpstart the World by Catherine Ryan Hyde
Genre: YA Contemporary (Maybe Light-Romance? I think so, but am not very far into it yet.)
Publisher: Random House (Alfred A. Knopf)

Goodreads Synopsis:

 Elle is a loner. She doesn’t need people. Which is a good thing, because she’s on her own: she had to move into her own apartment so her mother’s boyfriend won’t have to deal with her.

Then she meets Frank, the guy who lives next door. He’s older and has a girlfriend, but Elle can’t stop thinking about him. Frank isn’t like anyone Elle has ever met. He listens to her. He’s gentle. And Elle is falling for him, hard.
But Frank is different in a way that Elle was never prepared for: he’s transgender. And when Elle learns the truth, her world is turned upside down.  Now she’ll have to search inside herself to find not only the true meaning of friendship but her own role in jumpstarting the world.

Tender, honest, and compassionate, Jumpstart the World is a stunning story to make you laugh, cry, and honor the power of love.

Excerpts:

“It was this difficult, embarrassing truth that was right there for everybody to see: the fact that my interest in photography probably had its roots in admiring Molly just a little bit. Whether I wanted to admire her or not. Whether I wanted to admit it or not.” (Hardcover, pg. 66)

“’You should have told me. You could have asked for help. I would have helped you if I’d known.’
‘I was going to ask for help. I think. I mean, sometime I would have. You know. Sooner or later.’” (Hardcover, pg. 67)

So, what are you reading first this New Year?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment