Pages

Sunday, March 8, 2015

Manga Review: Cactus's Secret, Volumes 1-4, by Nana Haruta



Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5
Publisher: Shojo Beat (VIZ Media)
Release Date: March 2010 - December 2010
Volumes: 4
Spoilers?: No.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Falling in love with a clueless boy would turn any girl into a cactus!

Miku Yamada has a longtime crush on classmate Kyohei Fujioka. But no matter how many times she tries to show him how she feels, clueless Kyohei just doesn't get it. Frustrated, Miku gives up on him, only to have him start calling her "Cactus" for being prickly when he's around. Will Kyohei ever figure out Cactus's secret?

Miku decides to try telling Kyohei her feelings by giving him chocolates for Valentine's Day. But Kyohei, unaware that he's the object of her affection, offers himself up as a practice partner for her love confession. Can Miku get through to him that he's the one she loves?


Review:

It doesn’t seem like this series was a very big hit, but I enjoyed it. I like Haruto’s artstyle and storytelling; it wasn’t an outstanding shojo series, but it was an enjoyable one nonetheless.
There’s drama and fighting and making up and fighting again. The couple doesn’t wait until the very end to get together, which I liked, and it has a very nice ending. The humor worked for me, and the drama wasn’t melodramatic or too over-the-top.
There were extras at the end, some about side-characters that I enjoyed, and a cute one-shot.
I guess I just wanted to put my voice out there that this wasn’t that bad a series, and I enjoyed it. I thought it was cute, and I’m glad I finally finished it.

No comments:

Post a Comment