Pages

Monday, May 25, 2015

Manga Review: Jaco the Galactic Patrolman by Akira Toriyama



Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5
Publisher: Shonen Jump (VIZ Media)
Release Date: January 2015
Volumes: 1.
Spoilers?: No.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Akira Toriyama, manga legend and creator of Dragon Ball Z, is back with the quirky comedy Jaco the Galactic Patrolman! Retired scientist Omori lives alone on a deserted island while continuing his research into time-travel. His quiet life is interrupted when galactic patrolman Jaco crash-lands and decided to move in with him. Can Jaco get along with the old man long enough to save the earth from a dangerous threat? Includes a special bonus chapter introducing Dragon Ball Z hero Goku's parents!

Review:

I don’t read many books like this, and I’ve only read one other book in the Dragon Ball series. And so I am again surprised by how much fun this book was.
This is an All Ages book, with a more childish exaggerated humor, made for kids, cheesy. It’s that way on purpose, and it does it excellently.
This book stars Jaco, a galactic patrolman who crash lands on Earth. He’s a little full of himself, klutzy, offhandedly stating he could destroy Earth with one button, not sure if humans are worth saving. He’s quite fun to watch, honestly.
He meets an old man who is trying to make a time machine. He meets a rich girl who wants some adventure. They go on a couple crazy adventures together.
It’s cheesy, it’s fast, it’s quite funny. I’m surprised by how much I liked reading this, and am honestly now debating on  watching or reading Toriyama’s other books. This was fun, and I kind of want more.
I also want to note that there’s some mentions of the beginning of the Dragon Ball series, including a little prequel chapter. I understood their significance, I think, but I’m sure it would mean more to people who have actually read or watched the series, as I have not.


A review copy was provided by the publisher, VIZ Media, and Erik Jansen from MediaLab PR. Thank you so, so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment