Pages

Sunday, May 3, 2015

Novel Review: Sex & The Single Girl (Single in South Beach, #1) by Joanne Rock



Rating (Out of 5): ~2
Genre: Adult Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Harlequin Blaze
Release Date: 2003
Spoilers?: No.

Goodreads Synopsis:

The single girl's motto: Have your fun and leave...
Brianne Wolcott is back in town as co-owner of the hottest singles resort to hit South Beach. And her past is here to greet her in the form of Aidan Maddock. A lifetime ago she had a schoolgirl crush on the sexy FBI agent. But she is so over him now...or is she? The way her pulse reacts when he's around suggests that she still has a thing for Aidan. Well, fine. She'll have her one night with him and that's that. Too bad her libido insists that one night is not enough.
Unless you're tempted to stay!
Aidan used up all his resistance to Brianne when he sent her away years ago. No surprise, then, that the sight of a very grown-up Brianne makes him forget all the reasons he refused...especially when she offers to act out the fantasies she'd once whispered in his ear. But she's in for a surprise. Because once they hit the sheets, he's not walking away...ever!


The Cover:

I really dislike this cover. The colors are bad, the little image for the series is horrible, the whole thing just looks tacky and distasteful.

Review:

“Had she really thought that being strong had to do with knowing when to erect barriers?
Maybe sometimes being a strong woman meant knowing when to tear them down.” (Paperback, pg. 152)

I picked this up almost at random a couple years ago, because it sounded interesting and the title caught my eye. It took me forever to finally read it, though.
I just didn’t care for it, mostly, and I wanted it to be over.
Brianne is opening up a club/hotel for single people, trying to fix the image after her step-father and the husbands/whatever to her partners stole a bunch of money and disappeared. And then Aiden shows up trying to find her step-father and put him in jail, after he got away the first time ten years ago. And the chemistry between them is too much to ignore, I guess.
I just didn’t care for either character. I didn’t connect to either of them, I didn’t care for their attraction, and I had a hard time believing both their attraction and their resisting of it. It just didn’t work for me.
The writing was boring, too, and I had a hard time reading it. There was too much description and thought with too little dialogue. And then the action of finding her step-father was hinted and talked about for the entire book, when very little happening until the last, maybe, forty pages.
I was bored, and I wanted it to be over. And I’m glad it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment