Pages

Monday, May 11, 2015

Manga Review: The World's Greatest First Love -- The Case of Ritsu Onodera --, Volume 1, by Shungiku Nakamura



Rating (Out of 5): ~3
Publisher: SuBLime (VIZ Media)
Release Date: April 14, 2015
Volumes: 9+
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 2.

Goodreads Synopsis:

When Ritsu Onodera changes jobs, looking for a fresh start, he's not exactly thrilled when his new boss turns out to be his old flame. Ritsu's determined to leave all that in the past—but how can he when his boss is just as determined that they have a future?

Tired of accusations that family connections got him his current position, Ritsu Onodera quits his job as an editor at his father's company and transfers to Marukawa Publishing. Once there, he is assigned to the shojo manga editorial department—something he has no interest in and no experience with! Having sworn he'd never fall in love again, the last thing he wants to do is work on love stories. To make matters worse, it turns out that his overbearing boss, Masamune Takano, is actually his first love from high school!

Review:

I’ve never read or seen Junjo Romantica, but I was intrigued by this series. Plus, I’ve heard so many good things about that one, I thought why not. I was honestly expecting to like it more.
Years ago, Ritsu confessed his love, only it didn’t turn out that well. And now he’s working in the publishing industry, thrown into the shojo manga department, only to find out that his new boss is the guy he thought rejected him.
First of all, the art isn’t very good. It’s just a bit rough, and I don’t find it especially pretty to look at, at least some of the time. Usually the close ups and faces aren’t too bad, though.
The manga department was fun, and I did like that he really put his all into his work. The attraction between him and Takano didn’t work for me, though. Takano is very forceful, and I didn’t like him much; though Ritsu was a bit of a wimp, so I didn’t care for him much, either. I just didn’t grow very fond of the characters or their relationship, and I had a hard time getting through this volume.
I really wanted to like this more, but I didn’t. I don’t know if I’ll pick up more.



A review copy was provided by the publisher, VIZ Media, and Erik Jansen from MediaLab PR, for an honest review. Thank you so, so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment