Pages

Monday, June 15, 2015

Manga Review: Deadman Wonderland, Volume 7, by Jinsei Kataoka and Kazuma Kondou



Rating (Out of 5): ~4
Publisher: VIZ Media
Release Date: February 2015
Volumes: 13
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 1. 6. 8.

Goodreads Synopsis:

The residents of G Ward band together to confront Warden Tamaki’s Ninben, man-made Deadmen created through horrific human experimentation. Ganta’s friend Azami was turned into one of the Ninben during a Carnival Corpse show and lost her mind. He’ll do all he can to save her, but at what cost? And if things weren’t bad enough already, Ganta’s friends desert him as a traitor!

Review: 

Oddly enough, the theme for this volume seemed to be Friendship.
Ganta has pushed away his last friend so they don’t have to suffer, while his others turn on him. Then, for some reason, he’s grown very close to Azami, who’s being forced into the ninben mask and killing people. I don’t really see the friendship they have, but I guess they feel it. I do find Azami interesting, though. Her backstory is very interesting, and I do like her as a character.
Shiro is the real hero here, as far as I’m concerned. While I’m still worried about what's hiding inside her, that she doesn’t even know about it, she’s stand out as a person and a friend. All the worries and problems other people have, they just don’t touch her. She only cares about her friends, a.k.a. Ganta. She’s the real reason he gets out of anything okay, including with his friends.
There’s another cliffhanger here, of course. It introduces some possibly interesting characters, but with the main cast in a very bad place. I’m intrigued. But I’m mostly just enjoying the horrors and odd heartfelt moments of this series.
I’m looking forward to the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment