Pages

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Manga Review: Yamada-Kun and the Seven Witches, Volume 1, by Miki Yoshikawa



Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5
Publisher: Kodansha Comics
Release Date: March 31, 2015
Volumes: 17+
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 2.

Goodreads Synopsis:


SWAPPED WITH A KISS Class troublemaker Ryu Yamada is already having a bad day when he stumbles down a staircase along with star student Urara Shiraishi. When he wakes up, he realizes they have switched bodies-and that Ryu has the power to trade places with anyone just by kissing them! After figuring out the workings behind this new and amazing ability, Ryu and Urara take full advantage of the situation to improve their lives. But with such an oddly amazing power, just how long will Ryu and Urara be able to keep their secret under wraps? From the Trade Paperback edition.


Review:

I wasn’t really sure what to expect from this. It sounded fun, intriguing. The artwork looked pretty, and it definitely is.
While this is probably an odd comparison, since I have read very little and seen very little of the authors work, it reminds me of the style of Fairy Tail/Raven Master. The dramatic comedy and facial expressions, even the echi and pervy moments, felt very similar to that authors work. So, I guess, a recommendation, if you like one or the other?
This is about two people who accidentally kiss and switch bodies. The girl is very studious and quiet, and only cares about school, doesn’t even care about the kissing and switching. Whereas the boy freaks out. But it works out, because the girl is being bullied and he takes care of it, and he sucks at school so she takes care of that.
I don’t think we’ve really gotten into the witches part of the series, and I’m intrigued to see where that goes. But I did enjoy the characters we’ve met so far, and I like the two main characters. And it had a Fairy Tail feel, which I liked.
This isn’t at the top of my list, but I liked it enough to pick up the next one when I get the chance. And I’m sure a lot of other people will really like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment