Pages

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Manga Review: Chaika: The Coffin Princess, Volume 1, by Ichirou Sakaki, Shinta Sakayama, and Namaniku ATK (Nitroplus)



Rating (Out of 5): ~3-3.5
Publisher: Yen Press
Release Date: June 23, 2015
Volumes: 5.
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 2.
Wishlist Thursday.

Goodreads Synopsis:


Five years of inconceivable peace after two hundred years of war left erstwhile saboteur Toru Acura without a job or a meaning in life--until he saves a mysterious wizard with a coffin on her back. But when the coffin-wielding, silver-haired Chaika Trabant hires Toru and his sister, Akari, to accompany her on a death-defying journey, Toru's life of mind-numbing, meaningless peace is about to end!


Review:

Going into this volume with little knowledge of it, I wasn’t expecting this.
Firstly, Toru lives with his sister. After a bad experience, he refuses to work, or do much of anything. I’m not sure why. His sister keeps pushing him to do something, to help out, though. Toru is a pretty average guy; he’s all right. Akari, his sister, though, is in love with him. In a very creepy way. I’m not a fan of her.
But then Toru meets and helps Chaika, a mysterious girl traveling in the area. Chaika later hires him and his sister to help her in her quest.
I would read more of this series for Chaika alone. She’s younger, I think, and speaks broken English which is charming, and I think she’s adorable and super sweet. I like her a lot, and even I’m surprised by how much.
There’s also the bigger plot—that someone’s after Chaika, and she’s trying to get back something that was taken from her. We’re given hints to her past, and the volume ends with Toru beginning to tell Chaika about his.
Mostly, I liked Chaika. I’m intrigued by the people who are after her, as well. I’m not sure if I’m going to read more, but I’m intrigued.

No comments:

Post a Comment