Pages

Sunday, July 19, 2015

Manga Review: Blue Exorcist, Volume 12, by Kazue Kato



Rating (Out of 5): ~4
Publisher: Shonen Jump Advanced (VIZ Media)
Release Date: November 2014
Volumes: 15+
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 1. 11. 13.

Goodreads Synopsis:

FIGHT HELLFIRE WITH HELLFIRE!

As the True Cross Academy festival reaches its peak, trouble is brewing. While Izumo confronts Nemu Takara, Rin and the rest of the Exwires race to find her. The betrayal they discover and the tragic details of Izumo’s past will shake them to the core and herald the beginning of an all-out war between the Illuminati and the Knights of the True Cross!

Review:

It’s taken me long enough, but I’m finally (almost) caught up with this series. And I’m really glad.
There was a big betrayal in this volume, and I was not expecting it at all, though I guess it makes sense. We also get to see Izumo’s back story, why she’s working so hard. It’s just all bad.
The Illuminati are up to something terrible, and Izumo is in serious trouble. Shima is a jerk, but I also think he’s gotten himself into something he doesn’t fully understand.
I don’t want to spoil too much, so I’m also going to talk a bit about the rest of the characters and story.
Rin is a great main character. I love his vulnerability, the way he really just wants to do good and help people and have friends. Yukio needs to open up more, but there’s also something else going on with him that I’m intrigued by. I love Shiemi, I think she’s a sweetheart, and I really like seeing her get stronger and more confident. Suguro is a fun character, macho and loud, but also a nice guy. And Konekomaru is really smart and quiet, and I like him a lot.
I love the characters in this series, and while I’m reading more for them and the humor, there is real trouble brewing, and a lot of stuff happening behind the scenes that they don’t realize. I’m really enjoying this series, and look forward to the next one.



A review copy was provided by the publisher, VIZ Media, and Erik Jansen from MediaLab PR. Thank you so, so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment