Pages

Sunday, September 6, 2015

Manga Review: One Piece, Volume 73, by Eiichiro Oda



Rating (Out of 5): ~2-2.5
Publisher: Shonen Jump (VIZ Media)
Release Date: January 2015
Volumes:  78+
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 1-2-3. 72. 74.

Goodreads Synopsis:


Trouble is everywhere in the mysterious kingdom of Dressrosa. As his crew searches for a way to stop the island’s tyrant, Doflamingo, Luffy continues his quest to win back the Flame-Flame Fruit. But when he learns more about Rebecca and the true history of the kingdom, how will it affect his plans?
Trouble is everywhere in the mysterious kingdom of Dressrosa. As his crew searches for a way to stop the island’s tyrant, Doflamingo, Luffy continues his quest to win back the Flame-Flame Fruit. But when he learns more about Rebecca and the true history of the kingdom, how will it affect his plans?


Review:

I have not read a single previous volume of this series, nor have I seen any of the anime. I had no knowledge of what this series is really about before reading this volume. And so it should come as no surprise (it wasn’t to me, even if I tried), that I was confused and lost and not really into this volume.
This is volume seventy-three, so clearly a lot has happened already. The characters are all established, and there are a lot of them. And I recognized maybe two. There’s a lot of fighting going on, as battles are in progress before and through to the end of this volume. There are weird creatures, and at least three story lines going on at one time.
If I wanted to read this series, I would need to start from the very beginning. Because I had little real idea of what was going on and why and how it started. There’s some big coliseum fight going on, and some of the sexist undertones made me uncomfortable at the beginning (as one woman fought several men, and the audience watching cheered for them to kill her already), but I can’t judge fully without knowing the whole story. Plus, I know there are other female main characters that have large parts in this series.
There’s just a lot going on in this series. And I’m too far gone to have any way of really understanding it at this point, unless I started from the beginning.



A review copy was provided by the publisher, VIZ Media, and Erik Jansen from MediaLab PR. Thank you so, so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment