Pages

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Manga Review: Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches, Volume 2, by Miki Yoshikawa



Rating (Out of 5): ~3
Publisher: Kodansha Comics
Release Date: May 2015
Volumes: 19+
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 1. 3.

Goodreads Synopsis:

LIAR, LIAR

Having witnessed a shocking scene between Yamada and Shiraishi, the latest addition to the Supernatural Studies Club, Miyabi Itou, makes it her mission to spread damning rumors about her fellow club members. But Yamada can’t let that happen, because if things get out of control, Yamada and Shiraishi could lose everything that they’ve worked for thus far. How will Yamada solve this predicament? And is there something else behind Itou’s actions? This and more are revealed with a kiss!

Review:

I really want to love this series, but right now I just kind of like it.
So Yamada continues swapping bodies with his friends. Now Itou knows and she joins their club, making four. They face a rumor, a student body president for club funding, a martial arts club, a school trip. There’s some trouble brewing between these two fighting with Miyamura to be the next president. Throughout, they try figuring out how Yamada can switch bodies, and how it all work. He ends up in all their bodies at one point or another, and even has Miyamura in Itou’s and Shiraishi’s as well.
Some of the sexual overtones have me unsure. I enjoy how the kissing doesn’t bother them anymore, no matter what sex. And while I understand the interest in being in another sex’s body, sometimes they go too far. Like when the boys, while swapped as the girls, start stripping in the hallway, or when they start grabbing each other. But other times, I find it funny how Miyamura jokingly hits on Yamada as Shiraishi.
I’m iffy on it. At times I’m not a big fan, and then other times we see Shiraishi learning how to make friends with her classmates. I’m going to read another one or two, but I’m just on the fence at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment