Pages

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Manga Review: Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches, Volume 3, by Miki Yoshikawa



Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5
Publisher: Kodansha Comics
Release Date: July 2015
Volumes: 19+
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 1. 2. 4.

Goodreads Synopsis:

PRINCESS CHARMING

While on a school camping trip, Ryu is confronted by Nene Odagiri with photos of Ryu in a compromising position. Ryu has to somehow get those photos from Nene or forever be labeled as a pervert, and as always, the key to solving his predicament begins with a kiss. But this time, Ryu’s quest to save his reputation results in more questions than answers and eventually leads to the discovery of a new witch at Suzaku High. With a new witch in the mix comes more puzzles for the Supernatural Studies Club to solve, but will the alluring mystery of this witch and her new power be too much for them to handle?

Review:

This series is definitely growing on me. I wasn’t sure at first, but I’m liking it more now.
The humor is getting better, with the whole sexual undertones. I do appreciate how they don’t care about kissing much at this point. It’s the way they exchange bodies/powers, so it’s normal. No big deal. Even going so far as to straight-out ask strangers to kiss, as Yamada does to Nene, similar to the last volume with Itou. Same sex, different sex, they’re over it. At the same time, there’s a lot of innuendoes, and Miyamura in particular hits on all the girls. I find it funny.
There was also real development. We meet a past friend of Yamada’s, the guy who follows Nene. And witches! We finally figure out what the witches are about, and why Yamada can swap bodies. They’re figuring out how the powers work, and I look forward to meeting more witches.
There are subtle elements of romance here, mainly between Yamada and Urura. I don’t think it’s going to develop for a while, but I like it so far.
I’m getting into this series, and I’m looking forward to the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment