Pages

Monday, March 7, 2016

Manga Review: Hayate the Combat Butler, Volume 27, by Kenjiro Hata



Rating (Out of 5): ~3
Publisher: Shonen Sunday (VIZ Media)
Release Date: February 9, 2016
Volumes: 47+
Spoilers?: No?
Volume: 1. 26. 28.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Poor Hayate Ayasaki is responsible for repaying his parents' 150 million yen debt. One Christmas, he meets a girl named Nagi, and after a series of misunderstandings, he somehow ends up working as her butler. Nagi covers for Hayate's debt, but has Hayate dug himself deeper into a different kind of hole? A hilarious tale of butlers, love and battles (?!).

Whip out your screentone and your T-square, because this manga just leveled up in self-referential humor. Nagi's latest plan to make back her fortune: become a superstar manga artist! While all the cartoonists reading this cover text laugh bitterly, the poor little rich girl dives into the manga lifestyle. But will assisting a pro and working a table at a doujinshi convention start Nagi on an artistic career, or will she be forced to face the fact that her pet manga project is, to put it delicately, terrible beyond all measure?

Review:



Disclaimer: I have not read any of the previous volumes in this series, nor have I seen the anime. I’ve heard good things, but I was going into this volume blind.
Which, of course, means that I was rather lost. It seemed like most of it was focused on comedy, but I was still lost on the characters’ relationships.
Nagi decides to be serious about becoming a manga artist, with the help of an already popular mangaka and her friends. She’s trying to figure out how to get her fortune back, but she only discovers here that it’s going to take a lot more work, and possibly a different career method.
I was intrigued by this volume. I was lost, to be sure, but I feel like I would enjoy this series, and understand it more, if I started from the beginning. Or even watched the anime, and I might do that.


A review copy was provided by the publisher, VIZ Media, for an honest review. Thank you so, so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment