Pages

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Manga Review: LDK, Volume 2, by Ayu Watanabe



Rating (Out of 5): ~3
Publisher: Kodansha Comics
Release Date: December 2015
Volumes: 19+
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 1. 3.

Goodreads Synopsis:

LOVE RIVALS Aoi appears to finally be coming to terms with her feelings for Shusei. But before she can come to a conclusion, she witnesses a shocking scene between Shusei and a beautiful woman. However, it turns out that Shusei is not the only one who's popular with the opposite sex, as a younger rival enters the fray and vies for Aoi's attention. One boy is enough headache, but what will Aoi do with two gorgeous boys as love interests?

Review:

I really want to love this series. I really, really do. But it’s just not working for me.
I expect this kind of series to have a lot of drama, and romance, and maybe a little bad smut. I expect it to be a guilty pleasure drama, one so badly good you can’t stop watching. But this just isn’t doing it for me.
We meet Shusei’s sister in this volume, who forces Aoi to pretend to be Shusei’s girlfriend, to a ridiculous amount. Then there’s a school festival, where girls argue over who gets Shusei’s school shirt. We meet a rival for Aoi’s affections, a guy who actually likes her and is kind of sweet, even if he does push himself on her too much. He gives her more room and kindness than Shusei, at least. Which, of course, means that Aoi doesn’t like him like she does Shusei.
Shusei could be more a dick bad boy, but I actually think his personality is okay. He likes Aoi, and he’s not afraid of it, which I like. But mostly the drama and the emotions, and even the artwork, is very one-dimensional. Aoi’s freak-outs are over exaggerated, as is the drama. None of it is pulling me in, and none of it is making me want to read more.
I want this to get better, but I don’t really think it will, sadly.

No comments:

Post a Comment