Pages

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Manga Review: Idol Dreams, Volume 2, by Arina Tanemura



Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5
Publisher: Shojo Beat (VIZ Media)
Release Date: March 1, 2016
Volumes: 3+
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 1.

Goodreads Synopsis:

At age 31, office worker Chikage Deguchi feels she missed her chances at love and success. When word gets out that she’s a virgin, Chikage is humiliated and wishes she could turn back time to when she was still young and popular. She takes an experimental drug that changes her appearance back to when she was 15. Now Chikage is determined to pursue everything she missed out on all those years ago—including becoming a star!

Chikage has debuted as the 15-year-old Akari, but now she must compete with Yuko to have Hibiki produce her CD. Tokita, the only one who knows Chikage’s secret, continues to help her while trying to atone for the past...

Review:

I’m a forever fan of Tanemura, honestly. So even if I’m a little unsure of this series, even when it’s just okay, I’m enjoying it. I just love her work, her art and how she writes. I always will.
We get to see inside Tokita’s head in this volume, find out what happened when they were teenagers and why he feels the way he does about Chikage. Then we get a glimpse of who Hibiki really is on his time off, that he actually has a big family of siblings to take care of—which works in making me like him more.
Aside from the boys, we continue to see Chikage striving to make herself a better person, pushing herself to be a good idol and learning what that really entails. I do like getting to see adult Chikage growing, finding herself again, while trying to also be teen idol Akari. I like seeing such a mature struggle in a shojo-ish manga. (I know this is technically being called josei, but it just doesn't feel like it to me. It's more like half-and-half.)
I am enjoying this series so far. I’m not sure how I feel about Chikage changing age and the weird relationship she has with two very different aged boys. But definitely still reading.
Also: Tanemura mentions a second series she’s releasing at the same time as this one, and honestly I really really want to see more about that. Pick that one up too please?


A review copy was provided by the publisher, VIZ Media, for an honest review. Thank you so, so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment