Pages

Thursday, June 25, 2020

Manga Review: Penguindrum, Volume 1, by Isuzu Shibata, ikunichawder, and Lily Hoshino


Rating (Out of 5): ~3
Publisher: Seven Seas
Release Date: December 2019
Volumes: 5.
Spoilers?: Light.
Volume: 2.

Goodreads Synopsis:

PENGUIN POWER

Twins Kanba and Shoma live with their terminally ill little sister, Himari. One day, they visit the aquarium, a place full of warm memories for Himari, but she suddenly falls ill—and dies! At that very moment, a voice cries out, “Survival Tactic!” and Himari, wearing a penguin hat, comes back to life…?!

Review:

Himari is seriously sick, and her older brothers Kanba and Shoma are determined to take care of her and give her as much joy as they can. When she falls ill again, suddenly some other being seems to take over her body and the twins make a deal with it, willing to do anything to keep her alive.
I have mixed feelings about this. I did find the plot intriguing, and the way Himari turns into this almost robotic magical girl is really neat to me. This caught my eye first because of the art and how much I liked Hoshino's Kigurumi Guardians series, and this is quite pretty as well.
But I'm not quite sure where this is going after this volume, as the main plot is a little unclear to me. I also have suspicions about one of the boys being in love with Himari, and that makes me super wary of reading more.
There were good and bad things about this first volume, and while I'm still intrigued to read more and find out what the plot really is, I'm also wary of where any romance might be going. I'm unsure if I'll read more.

No comments:

Post a Comment