Pages

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Manga Review: Sakura Hime: The Legend of Princess Sakura, Volume 4, by Arina Tanemura

Publisher: Viz Media

Goodreads Synopsis:

Sakura is the granddaughter of a mysterious moon princess who slew demons with her Blood Cherry Blossom sword. All her life Sakura has been forbidden to look at the full moon without knowing why. Then one night, unhappy over her impending marriage, Sakura gazes up at the moon, only to see a demon attacking her...

Review:

I'm actually finding that I'm having a hard time writing this review. I just can't seem to write out, or really think about how I'm feeling so far for this series. This is probably due to the fact that I'm not feeling enough for it.
I've read all of the other stuff that's been published by her, and liked most of it. My favorite would have to be Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne, which was published by CMX (R.I.P.?). I love her artwork especially. It's so eccentric, and gorgeous. That last series of hers that was published, Gentlemen's Alliance Cross, confused me at times and I'm unsure about the ending; I should probably re-read it, really.
In this one, so far, has kind of caught my interest. I'm going to continue reading it, of course, because I like Tanemura's work. I was interested within the first volume, but it hasn't had me waiting anxiously for the next one. I liked this volume, but I feel like I don't have all that much to say about it. Like I didn't really feel for it. Which is probably why I'm having a hard time writing this.
This volume starts with Sakura arriving in Shura Yugenden with her brother Enju. We meet the other people of the village, the other people of the moon. There's some interaction with Sakura and Enju. They're trying to act like things haven't changed, trying to get back to normal, but it's obvious that that isn't going to work. I don't like Enju very much, and I can tell that he's up to something.
We meet and get the background on Rurijo. She was a stone that sucked the energy from humans before Enju took her in and made her a human body. To him, she was a temporary replacement for Sakura, which she didn't realize. I feel bad for her because of that, and I think she's interesting. I wouldn't mind seeing more of her, although I hope that she stops trying to fight Sakura. She has full reason to want to, really, since she was made as a replacement for her and now that she's back she feels that Enju is being taken away from her. But I don't like Enju, and so she should smart up a little. She fights with Sakura, and beats her up a little bit, and then Rurijo goes after Aoba in an effort to trick him, which doesn't work. It was stupid of her to do it, but she's being punished and pushed away by Enju, so I see why she did it.
Aoba and Byakuya and Kohaku and Hayate get into the village following something that Rurijo left behind. Byakuya fights Maimai and we get some of his back story. I feel bad for Maimai because of how he was treated when he was little, but not so much because of how he turned out. It's kind of understanding, because he hated the whole village and easily chose that over his love, but I don't particularly like that choice. Maimai has some serious problems, and could grow passed them, but I mainly only see more bad things happening with him.
We get hints that Kohaku and Hayate know Shuri, which is likely to be interesting, and will probably be revealed within the next volume or two. Also, I really like Kohaku and Hayate. I hope that Hayate gets changed permanently back into his human form soon, because I would really like to see more of them together. They are just so cute.
There's a bonus story about Asagiri that is both parts sad and cute. It was kind of surprising seeing how Asagiri was before being with Sakura, especially how much her attitude has changed. And I'm glad that she is how she is now.
Also, Sakura gets locked into a room by Enju after finding out that Byakuya and everyone is there. I'm looking forward to the outcome of this, as well as finding out more about the story and everything. There's quite a bit going on right now, and there's a lot to take in considering how fast this series has been moving along.

No comments:

Post a Comment