Pages

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Review: Deadly Cool by Gemma Halliday

Publisher: HarperTeen

Goodreads Synopsis:
First I find out that my boyfriend is cheating on me. Then he’s pegged as the #1 suspect in a murder. And now he’s depending on me to clear his name. Seriously?
As much as I wouldn’t mind watching him squirm, I know that he’s innocent. So I’m brushing off my previously untapped detective skills and getting down to business. But I keep tripping over dead bodies and I’m still no closer to figuring out who did it. And what’s worse: all signs seem to point to me as the killer’s next victim.
I really need to pick a better boyfriend next time.

Review:

I was hoping to like this more than I did.
The writing style was kind of... almost exaggerated, but not quite... And there were so many product placements that it started to bother me. It wasn't overflowing with them, I don't think, but I haven't read much that has very many.
Hartley, the main character, was alright. She didn't have a complete voice in my head, I don't think at least, but I just didn't feel much for her. Maybe I just didn't connect with her. She wasn't particularly a strong character, although not a stupid weak one either. She was kind of snarky, which I did like. Josh was alright, and I did kind of feel for him, even if he was kind of stupid. Chase I actually did kind of like. I didn't get much of a feel for her friend, Sam, either. She was alright.
The plot line was kind of interesting, and I did find myself wanting to know who did it. I didn't have too much of an idea because I'd ruled out everyone that could have done it. I hadn't even thought of the person that ended up being the killer, which was probably the point, because it should have been obvious. Although, the scene at the end, with the fire, didn't seem as realistic as it could have been. I've never been in a fire, but it didn't seem as well done as it could have been, and later, she didn't seem as injured as she should have been.
It was overall kind of mediocre and not as exciting as it should have been. And I didn't get much of an outstanding impression from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment