Pages

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Manga Review: Ouran High School Host Club, Volume 17, by Bisco Hatori

Rating (Out of 5 Stars): ~4
Publisher: VIZ Media

VIZ Media Synopsis:

Tamaki’s father and grandmother, the heads of the powerful Suoh Corp., are behind the Host Club’s suspension and the plan for Haruhi to be shipped off abroad. Now the Host Club members must pull out all the stops to save their beloved leader from his family’s infighting.

Review:

I love this series, as I've mentioned already. (I have, right? Because I do.) But this volume wasn't as exciting as I'd hoped it would be.
Quite a bit happens, though. Tamaki is still trying to get his Grandmother to accept him, and his father so far hasn't done much of anything to help him in this. Tamaki also can't join the host club or interact with Haruhi.
Haruhi decides to go back to dressing like she did before joining the club. I totally understand the statement she is making by doing this, and I also completely understand why she enjoys doing that over getting dressed up and having to look nice. A bunch of people are upset about it, like the twins and Ranka. Anyway, the club is upset about Tamaki and trying to think of ways to fix things.
A lot of talking happens in this volume, and several things are found out. About Tamaki's father and what he has been planning (which is upsetting to Tamaki, but not necessarily a bad thing), and some things are resolved with Tamaki and his Grandmother, and Tamaki's mother's illness is fully discovered, and we find out why she seems to be getting better and what Tamaki's father has to do with it, and what Kosaka's role in all of it is. And Tamaki's mother comes over to Japan, but Tamaki decides not to see her as a statement to his Grandmother, but then he gets to see her, even if only for a very short time. And in order for that to be possible, the host club and several people from the school show how much they love him by making it happen.
I don't want to say too much about what happened aside from that. Just that some awesome things happen with Tamaki's Grandmother that changes a lot, and that's mostly what this volume is centered around. Although, I guess, really, most of the last few volumes, and just generally the serious stuff, revolves around him. A lot of stuff gets resolved, though.
Everyone is just so sweet to Tamaki in this volume. It's nice to see, especially considering how much of an unhappy mood he's in and what's been going on with him. And then at the very end, (like, on the last page,) there's this uber cute moment between Tamaki and Haruhi that is also a huge cliffhanger and I really want to know what happens. I believe that it's happy, since there's only one volume left, but I am so excited to see it happen. (While a little sad, since it is the last volume. What will I have after that? You know, besides all of those other manga I read.)
Most of this book was big statements and moments full of impact, and setting things off for the last volume. There were very few cute, fluffy moments. And it almost pains me to give a volume of this series only four stars, but it just wasn't as good as I wanted it to be. It was very serious. And while it did need to be, I miss the fun, fluff-filled moments. I love them. And I love the characters. I hope that some more things conclude in the next volume, as I'm thinking they will, and I'm excited for it. And I really hope that I don't have to wait too long for it, that they're not going to stretch out the release date too much. I just really want to see the happy ending for all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment