Pages

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Manga Review: Sakura Hime: The Legend of Princess Sakura, Volume 5, by Arina Tanemura

Rating (Out of 5 Stars):
Publisher: VIZ Media

VIZ Media Synopsis:

Aoba and the others storm Enju's hidden palace to rescue Sakura. Byakuya must defeat Maimai for the key to the tower where Sakura is being held. Maimai is a ruthless killer, but Byakuya is about to unleash her secret powers...

Review:
 
I've been having a hard time thinking of what to write for this review. I usually like Tanemura's books more than I've liked this one so far, and I'm not sure why that is. There isn't really anything wrong with this book. But for some reason, I read the volume, and I think about it as I do, and, really, there isn't anything wrong with it, but it just isn't as interesting as I want it to be. And then I finish reading it, and I wait a while, and what happened in the book isn't as exciting as it was to begin with, and it's a bit of a blur. But a blur that's easy to recall. Or it's mostly a blank until I look through the book again.
Ahhhh. I hope that the later volumes get more exciting.
Anyway, what happened in this volume? Well, in the first chapter, the fight between MaiMai and Byakuya finishes. This is mostly alright. Although Byakuya does this transformation thing that is a little odd. And even after the fight, Sakura is still nice to MaiMai. I don't think I like that she is, but of course she has to be just so nice to everyone.
The next two chapters focus on Kohaku, Hayate, and Shuri. It's mostly about back story, about how they know each other, how Hayate got turned into a frog, the little love triangle like thing that's going on between them. There's also some stuff with Aoba that's sweet and sad, like the whole changing how they call each other. And then it goes back to the present and Kohaku fights with Shuri, in a way to prove herself. So they fight and at the end, after Hayate has turned into his human form because it is a full moon night, he grabs them and hugs them. It's kind of sweet, I guess, but I don't know how I feel about Shuri yet. I guess he doesn't seem so bad. But there's no doubt that I love Hayate, and Hayate with Kohaku is also awesome. They are my favorite characters so far.
I don't really know how I feel about most of the characters. I will probably like Sakura with Aoba, as I'm already leaning toward them, but I don't really know how much I like Sakura anymore. I like Asagiri, and of course I like Hayate and Kohaku. I don't think I like Enju, and most of the other characters are a little iffy so far.
And it hasn't gotten very exciting yet. I mentioned this above. But I'm hoping that it gets better. I like Tanemura's stories and art, and I'm going to continue reading. But I hope it gets more memorable.
Oh, also, there's a short story at the end. This also wasn't very good to me. It was just a little mediocre. It's about a girl who doesn't like this boy and it has a spooky edge to it because there's this haunting story at their school. There's a bit of a twist to it, and I think I mostly liked the guy. But it was just alright. Not amazing or anything.
So, yea. I just hope it gets better. That the story moves forward some more from here. Like, by Sakura and Aoba making up fully, and Hayate being turned fully into a human so that him and Kohaku can be together.

No comments:

Post a Comment