Pages

Saturday, January 10, 2015

Manga Review: Spell of Desire, Volume 2, by Tomu Ohmi



Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5-4
Publisher: Shojo Beat (VIZ Media)
Release Date: November 4, 2014
Volumes: 5
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 1. 3.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Kaoruko Mochizuki runs an herb shop in a small seaside town. One day, a mysterious man dressed in black named Kaname Hibiki enters her shop and reveals that Kaoruko is actually a witch. And what's more, Kaoruko needs Kaname to help control her awakening power!

The only thing that can keep Kaoruko's powers in check is a kiss from Kaname, but she can't help but be drawn to him! While Kaname struggles with his own growing attraction to Kaoruko, he suspects that Kaoruko's volatile powers will bring unwanted attention from the Black Witches Coven with dangerous consequences for her!

Review:

Midnight Secretary left me unsure of continuing Ohmi’s works, and the first volume of this series didn’t grab me immediately. But this volume was actually a step up, I’m happy to report.
I think the attraction between the couple has a hard time grabbing me, but it’s starting to work here. Kaname is starting to accept his feelings for Kaoruko, just as she is for him. That’s one thing that bothered me in the previous series, and I’m hoping it continues into the next one.
Then there’s the witch plot line that is getting surprisingly serious, and troublesome for the two. Kaoruko is surprisingly strong (with her powers, specifically), and since this causes problems for her and Kaname, who is trying to protect her, we get to meet some other witches. I’m a little wary of them, and unsure if I like the general direction they’re going, but I’m interested.
This series is not at the top of my list, but I want to read more, to see where it goes next. I’m intrigued enough to see this through.



A review copy was provided by the publisher, VIZ Media, and Erik Jansen from MediaLab PR. Thank you so, so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment