Pages

Saturday, June 28, 2014

Manga Review: Midnight Secretary, Volume 5, by Tomu Ohmi



Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5-4
Publisher: Shojo Beat (VIZ Media)
Release Date: May 2014
Volumes: 7
Spoilers?: Some.
Volume: 1. 4. 6.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Kaya thought she had found the perfect job when she became the private secretary of Kyouhei Touma - the director of a tableware company of the same name. Kyouhei is a capable director, but his arrogance and sluttish behavior are almost legendary. Kaya is doing her best to prove that she is capable in her work, but one night, by accident, she discovers his secret... of him being a vampire!

Review:

The first chapter or two of this volume was much like that last few: not very good. It just hasn’t been making me want to read it. I almost even put off buying this volume.
I think the main reason was that I was just not feeling the relationship between the characters. Nothing big was happening between them, it seemed like they both knew Kyohei’s feelings and yet neither were doing anything about it, and their chemistry had just disappeared. At one point in this volume, I was even wondering why Kaya likes him. He was just showing absolutely no likeable characteristics, he wasn’t being nice to her or even welcoming, and yet she was following loyally behind him. It was starting to drive me insane.
But about halfway through the volume, they were finally taking a step forward. Their romance was finally admitted to, Kyohei finally bucked up to his feelings, and even did it publicly. I was finally feeling their relationship, their chemistry, again. It was almost a relief, I was so happy.
Now it seems like they get to become more comfortable romantically with each other, which I look forward. The vampire community, and Kyohei’s family, is what seems to be the next problems. There are only a couple volumes left, so I look forward to seeing how the series ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment