I know this is a little late, but it’s still early in the new year, right?
2014 End of Year Book Survey:
1. Number of Books You Read?:
359. Within that, 126 Novels.
2. Number of Re-Reads?:
I don’t know, maybe 3? I don’t re-read much.
3. Genre You Read the Most From?
If manga, shojo. Also, just manga in general. For novels… probably contemporary.
1. Best Book You Read in 2014:
Oh God… Isla and the Happily Ever After, Ignite Me, Cress, The Dream Thieves, Crash Into You, Dare to Surrender...
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Maybe A Little Something Different. It sounded so good, and it definitely wasn’t bad, but it just wasn’t as outstanding as I thought it would be. Not That Kind of Girl would be another one.
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2014?
Either Roomies, which I just thought would be okay and ended up being one of my favorites, or Not That Kind of Girl, which ended up being not as powerful as I expected.
For manga, possibly NightS, because I hadn’t expected it to be so well done.
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did) In 2014?
I don’t generally push books on people, because I don’t know anyone who really reads… but it would probably be the Shatter Me series or the Lunar Chronicles, both of which a friend borrowed.
5. Best series you started in 2014? Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender of 2014?
Started: Either the Lunar Chronicles or the Raven Cycle. I don’t know what took me so long.
Sequel: Ohhh, either Cress, The Dream Thieves, or Crash Into You (if that one counts).
Ender: Ignite Me. No competition there.
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2014?
Going into Adult/Erotica territory… maybe M.Q Barber, and definitely Cherise Sinclair. And Bella Andre.
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
Hm… I don’t think I stepped out too much. Maybe The Girl Who Was Supposed to Die by
April Henry. I don’t normally read mystery, but it was very good. Oh, Anna Dressed in Blood, as well.
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
I’m going to go with Ignite Me. I don’t think I read many action-packed series, but this one flew by.
9. Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Crash Into You. Maybe Isla and the Happily Ever After, as well.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2014?
Oh god… there are some pretty covers. Probably Cress and Ignite Me. Those two are just beautiful.
11. Most memorable character of 2014?
Rachel from Crash Into You. Juliette from Ignite Me.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2014?
While I feel I have to mention Maggie Stiefvater (books I read in 2014: The Raven Boys, The Dream Thieves, Sinner), because her writing is just beautiful in all ways and is everything I strive for, I loved Tahereh Mafi’s writing at possibly the same level, if not more. It’s just pretty in a whole other way.
Although, maybe In the Shadows by Kiersten White and Jim Di Bartolo is also worth mentioning for this?
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2014?
Hmm… I’m going to say Some Boys by Patty Blount.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read?
Cinder. The Raven Boys.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2014?
I’m really bad with remembering quotes and all that, so I’m going with this one:
"'This isn’t about Adam or Warner,’ I tell him. ‘This is about me and what I want. This is about me finally understanding where I want to be in ten years. Because I’m going to be alive, Kenji. I will be alive in ten years, and I’m going to be happy. I’m going to be strong. And I don’t need anyone to tell me that anymore. I am enough, and I always will be.’” From Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi.
16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
For manga, Tokyo Mew Mew Omnibus 3 is the longest.
Novels: Cress is the longest, at 550 pgs. For the shortest, I really have no idea, so I’m going to say Candy Store by Bella Andre, at maybe 120 pgs.
17. Book That Shocked You The Most:
Maybe Allegiant. I still don’t know how I feel about the ending.
For manga though, either InuX Boku SS (oh my god, the ending of volume 4 still kills me), or a close runner-up of Attack on Titan, because a few of those volumes really got me.
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!):
Oh no, how is this even a possible... Well, all of them in Cress. Rachel and Isaiah in Crash Into You, always.
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year:
Cinder and Thorne in Cress. Juliette and Kenji in Ignite Me (I will go down with their ship) (can Juliette just be my OTP? Just on her own, as a person? Please?).
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2014 From An Author You’ve Read Previously:
Sinner by Maggie Stiefvater. All of Kiersten White. Unravel Me and Ignite Me from Tahereh Mafi. What I Thought Was True by Huntley Fitzpatrick. Crash Into You by Katie McGarry. Pivot Point and Split Second by Kasie West.
21. Best Book You Read In 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
I don’t get a lot of recommendations, honestly… So I’m not sure. Maybe Not That Kind of Girl? Although I didn’t enjoy that one… I technically started Attack on Titan in 2013, but I started it because of the buzz, and absolutely love it now…
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014?
Isaiah from Crash Into You.
23. Best 2014 debut you read?
I actually don’t think I read any debut novels in 2014? I don’t know how that’s possible?
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
I don’t read a lot of fantasy, so probably Cress. With Ignite Me very close behind.
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
Oh god, for manga this list would probably be a mile long. (Strobe Edge, Kimi ni Todoke, Library Wars, Happy Marriage?!, Manga Dogs…) For novels, probably Isla and the Happily Ever After, or My True Love Gave to Me. Also, all the Cherise Sinclair books.
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2014?
I don’t think I read too sappy of books this year. I got teary eyed once in Attack on Titan, and felt like crying with Inu x Boku SS. And I got teary eyed (oddly enough) from Masterof the Abyss by Cherise Sinclair.
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
Either Some Boys by Patty Blount, Roomies by Sara Zarr and Tara Altebrando, or maybe In the Shadows by Kiersten White and Jim Di Bartolo.
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
Inu x Boku SS volume 4. It killed me.
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2014?
In the Shadows by Kiersten White and Jim Di Bartolo. With the pictures and writing, it was lovely.
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
Probably Sass andSerendipity, because the characters were so… horrible.
Your Blogging/Bookish Life
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2014?
I don’t think I really discovered any new blogs this year. But, since I got a smart phone this year, I did discover how useful following blogs on email is. Which means I started reading ones I’d previously followed more. Mostly The Starry-Eyed Revue, WondrousReads, Cuddlebuggery, and a favorite for manga, Manga Bookshelf.
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2014?
This feels like an impossible question, given how many reviews I post. I think I did a good job with Ani-Imo 1 and Some Boys? Inu x Boku SS 4?
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
I don’t post much non-review stuff on my blog. I enjoy doing the Wishlist Thursday’s, though. In December I did two top ten-type things, and I enjoyed those.
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes,
I think the only event I went to this year was one for Kiersten White and Jim Di Bartolo? Usually I go to Wordstock, but there wasn’t one this year. Still, I’ve seen Kiersten White a few times now, and she’s always great.
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2014?
I’m pretty sure it would be when I received a novel review copy. I don’t have a big following, and am very bad at communicating with people, but I finally started sending out review copy requests, and I actually got a few review copies this year. I started getting manga review copies last year, but got even more of those this year. Those are the best, and excite me every time.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
Um, I have no idea how to figure this out. So, I think it might have been on my Olympos review? (I figured it would be a Wishlist Thursday or Attack on Titan review. Huh.)
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
Uh, any of my reviews?
9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
I just, the last few weeks, discovered Book Outlet. But also the Barnes and Noble membership, as well as their Manga Monday deals. Total score there. At this point, the manga Mondays are where I get almost all of my Yen Press and Vertical titles.
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
The only one I really partake in is Goodreads’, and I way surpassed that from my hopes and previous goals.
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2014 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2015?
Oh god, all of them? My two left review copies, definitely, but also Gayle Forman’s Just One Year. Finally getting to that one! Also, Blue Lily, Lily Blue, because what’s wrong with me?
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2015 (non-debut)?
So many! Huntley Fitzpatrick’s The Boy Most Likely To, Sarah Dessen’s Saint Anything, Kasie West’s Fill-InBoyfriend, and the final Lunar Chronicles book, for sure.
3. 2015 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
Why are there so many good books!? There are a dozen to choose from, so I’ll just say The NightWe Said Yes.
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2015?
The Lunar Chronicles ending, definitely. But also The Raven Cycle, assuming it comes out this year, and Maureen Johnson’s final Shades of London book.
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2015?
I would like to make my blog look better, but I don’t know if that’ll ever happen. Maybe get another non-review post started? And participate in the community more?
Also, definitely cross-post more of my reviews!
6. A 2015 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:
I don’t get very many of these, but I have read Gayle Forman’s IWas Here. And I loved it. Definitely recommend!
Happy New Year!
Thanks for reading. :)