Pages

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Manga Review: Dojin Work, Volume 1-4, by Hiroyuki



Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5-4
Publisher: Anime Works/Media Blasters
Release Date: 2009
Volumes: 6
Spoilers?: No.
Bundle on RightStuf.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Things can be very trying for a high school student. It's tough to make extra cash...unless of course you have a special talent. Najimi's friend Tsuyuri has been making money on the side drawing naughty fan comics and selling them at conventions. Najimi doesn't have a knack for drawing comics and has fallen in with a very unusual crowd. They are living in fantasy worlds and are now on the fringe of society attending comic conventions and hanging out in odd circles of friends with wacky interests and fetishes. But how can Najimi make money if she totally sucks at drawing?! 


Review:

I picked this up kind of on the spur. I wasn’t too sure what to expect, though I figured it would be comedy. I also thought it would be a little dirty. I wasn’t expecting it to be so good, though.
This is mostly made up of four-panel comics, and I like those. It’s pretty much all comedy, and it’s well-done. The artwork is pretty good.
There’s a group of four-to-six main characters, and they’re all hilarious. There are misunderstandings, and lots of underhanded tricks. There are also a surprisingly amount of dirty jokes and innuendos. Nothing is actually shown, but there’s a lot of context, which I honestly thought was hilarious, especially since the characters all write dojinshi, much of which is hentai based, and some of which is yaoi. 
I really enjoyed this short series; the translations seemed well-done, and most of it was just very funny. But there are apparently six volumes in this series, and only four have been translated and released over here. I thought it was discontinued, not just canceled in English. Ugh. Now I just get to hope that someone translates the rest?

No comments:

Post a Comment