Pages

Friday, February 27, 2015

Novel Review: After the End (After the End, #1) by Amy Plum



Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5
Genre: YA Dystopian Romance
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: May 2014
Spoilers?: No.

Goodreads Synopsis:

"I have no idea what is truth and what is fiction. I'm all I've got now. I can't trust anyone."
World War III has left the world ravaged by nuclear radiation. A lucky few escaped to the Alaskan wilderness. They've survived for the last thirty years by living off the land, being one with nature, and hiding from whoever else might still be out there.
At least, this is what Juneau has been told her entire life.
When Juneau returns from a hunting trip to discover that everyone in her clan has vanished, she sets off to find them. Leaving the boundaries of their land for the very first time, she learns something horrifying: There never was a war. Cities were never destroyed. The world is intact. Everything was a lie.
Now Juneau is adrift in a modern-day world she never knew existed. But while she's trying to find a way to rescue her friends and family, someone else is looking for her. Someone who knows the extraordinary truth about the secrets of her past.

The Cover:

I like this cover. It definitely shows the dystopian aspect well, showing the isolation with a city just on the other side. And I like that it shows a girl and two dogs, both of which are important in the story. I think it represents the book well, and it's rather nice to look at.

Review:

"'Doubt everything, Juneau. Doubt everything at least once. What you decide to keep, you'll be able to be confident of. And what you decide to ditch, you will replace with what your instincts tell you is true.'" (Hardback, pg 224)

After I loved Plum’s previous series so much, I’m surprised it took me so long to get to this one. I’m also surprised that I haven’t heard more about it.
I really like the premise, that Juneau has lived in a commune thinking that the rest of the world is war-ridden and scarce, only to find out that there never was a war. I do think she should have freaked out a bit more when she found out, because she took it all in stride, like it was no big deal.
I’m really glad there are alternating chapters, because Miles and Juneau have lived through very different environments, and their points of view and voices really show that.
I liked Juneau, and I liked Miles. They don’t hugely stand out to me, but I liked them, and I enjoyed their journeys and developing relationship. Their romance is just simmering right now, and I look forward to more of it.
The plotline is interesting, and I am enjoying finding it out as I read, and look forward to seeing more developments in the next book. The cliffhanger was really horrible, and has me wanting the next book soon so I can find out what happens to Miles. Because that’s just mean.
Overall I rather enjoyed this novel. It was fast, the alternating points of view was very nice, and the romance is sweet so far and progressing nicely. I’m enjoying this, and look forward to picking up the next book when it releases.

No comments:

Post a Comment