Pages

Monday, April 20, 2015

Manga Review: Karneval, Volume 1, by Touya Mikanagi



Rating (Out of 5): ~4
Publisher: Yen Press
Release Date: March 24, 2015
Volumes: 14+
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 2.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Nai--a young man who travels in search of another by the name of Karoku, a lone bracelet his only lead. Gareki--a willful young man who earns his daily bread by thieving and picking pockets. Thrown together at an eerie mansion, where they are entrapped and framed, Nai and Gareki are soon hunted down as criminals by national security forces. As they are driven into a corner, before them appears the most powerful defense agency in the country, "Circus"--!!

Review:

I really had no idea what I was getting into when I started this, but I had no doubt I was going to get this volume. There was a lot of hype, and it looked pretty, and I was intrigued.
It’s definitely another series with a large band of characters, in a unique setting. And, to be honest, I’m already sold. It took no time at all, surprisingly enough.
First of all, this book is beautiful. It’s paperback, but it’s a large (also meaning tall) two-in-one book, with three color pages at the beginning. And the artwork is so pretty, the color pages are worth it.
The main character is Nai, and he’s searching for Karoku, his long lost friend (or something, we’re not really clear on that). Nai is clueless, oblivious to how pretty much everything works, but with amazing luck. He’s kind of adorable, honestly.
He meets Gareki, a thief (kind of), from a small town, who grudgingly comes to take care of Nai. And then we meet Circus, a very high up police force, full of a lot of unique characters. Among them are Tsukumo, a girl that we’re just starting to get to know, the leader Hirato, and Yogi, who I think is a complete sweetheart and I love him already. We’ve gotten hints to Karoku, and I’m not sure about him, but it looks bad. And I'm getting Loveless vibes, regarding him.
There’s a lot of mystery here, especially about who Nai and Karouki are. There’re a lot of characters here, which leaves a lot of room to get to know them all, and I’m excited about that. The artwork is gorgeous. This volume was fast and fun, and I’m so intrigued by the characters and the story. I’m sold, and I can’t wait for the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment