Pages

Friday, April 17, 2015

Novel Review: Queen of Secrets by Jenny Meyerhoff



Rating (Out of 5): ~3-3.5
Genre: YA Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Farrar Straus Giroux
Release Date: 2010
Spoilers?: No.
Buy it here: Amazon. Barnes and Noble.

Goodreads Synopsis:

This year, Essie Green’s life is going to be different. She’s made the cheerleading squad and caught the eye of the captain of the football team. However, she didn't expect her estranged cousin to join the football team. Micah is instantly branded a freak for praying during games, and Essie doesn’t want anything to do with him. As the football team’s teasing of Micah shifts into hazing, Essie is forced to make a choice between the boy she might love and the cousin she barely knows.

The Cover:

I rather like the cover, actually. I think the girl represents the character well, and the position of it. It's relevant, since she's a cheerleader. I do think the religion aspect, or the serious part of the book, could be represented better, since this makes it seem more happy-go-lucky, but overall I like it.

Quotes:


  • "'Praying is wishful thinking—false comfort for people afraid of life. And death. I’ve seen enough of both,’ he said. ‘I’m not afraid.’” (Hardback, pg. 18)
  • "'When people don’t know the reasons for things, they have to make up their own explanations.’” (Pg. 96)
  • "'Don’t let the circumstances of your life dictate your beliefs,’ the rabbi said. ‘Contemplate. Then make a choice.’” (Pg. 123)


Review:

This was a bit surprising, actually, if still a bit of an average book.
I like the way that religion was handled in it. There were some frustrating moments, but I think it was okay in the end.
I wasn’t expecting the guy, Austin, to actually be a good guy, and for a while I still didn’t think he was going to be. But he surprised me by turning out to be a pretty decent guy in the end, and I liked that. It was a nicer turn than I was expecting, and it was good for Essie.
I liked where Essie was at the end of the book, and where everyone else was, too. This was a pretty average book for me, not particularly outstanding, but it was good. And it handled its issues pretty well, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment