Pages

Friday, April 10, 2015

Novel Review: Never Cry Werewolf by Heather Davis



Rating (Out of 5): ~1-1.5
Genre: YA Romance
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: 2009
Spoilers?: No.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Moonlight can totally change your life.

And it all starts so simply.

You. Him.

The moon.

You're toast.

Okay, so maybe Shelby has made a few mistakes with boys lately (how was she supposed to know Wes had "borrowed" that Porsche?). But her stepmother totally overreacts when she catches Shelby in a post-curfew kiss with a hot senior: Suddenly Shelby's summer plans are on the shelf, and she's being packed off to brat camp. It's good-bye, prom dress; hello, hiking boots.

Things start looking up, though, when Shelby meets fellow camper (and son of a rock star) Austin Bridges III. But soon she realizes there's more to Austin than crush material—his family has a dark secret, and he wants Shelby's help guarding it. Shelby knows that she really shouldn't be getting tangled up with another bad boy . . . but who is she to turn her back on a guy in need, especially such a good-looking one? One thing's for sure: That pesky full moon is about to get her into trouble all over again.

The Cover:

The cover is all right. It has a very high school feel to it, which is fitting. But it also looks dark, like she's maybe in danger, which I don't think fits at all and is more misleading. An all right cover, but not for this book.

 Quotes:

  • "Lost. Yeah, right. Why do we always say lost when we mean people died on us? Mom was not lost. And I’d spent the last three years trying hard not to lose myself. That’s what really happens when people die—the family left behind loses a part of themselves. A tiny piece. A tiny piece you never get back.” (Paperback, pg. 77)
  • "Brave and fearless are totally not the same thing. Brave is like being fearless for an actual reason.” (Pg. 177)

Review:

I did not enjoy this book. I picked it up years ago, back when I would have enjoyed it more. Sadly I didn’t get to it until now, when I have outgrown these types of books.
I didn’t believe the character from the beginning. Shelby isn’t fleshed out. I had a hard time believing both that she was the type to help people, and that she wasn’t the spoiled rich kid everyone else she knew was. Mainly because those characteristics could have easily been swapped for something else and nothing would have changed. All of the characters were one-dimensional and none of them seemed real to me.
Which means that the plot didn’t seem all that believable, either. Shelby helping Austin because she’s nice didn’t work, and Austin telling Shelby his secret so fast didn’t seem realistic at all, especially when he made a big deal about not telling anyone and trusting her. Their attraction didn’t make sense to me, either. They look at each other, like, twice and supposedly feel a connection, when I felt absolutely nothing. And then Shelby was afraid of him being a wolf one second and then fighting her attraction the next.
And then the ending had no resolution. Nothing happened with her parents, Austin’s problem was mostly solved I guess, but mostly it just seemed like they were in the same position as when they started. Supposedly Shelby learned a lot, but I didn’t believe that.
All of the characters, including the camp setting and counselors, was hugely stereotyped, as well. The girls especially, and everyone’s problems, but also the therapy sessions and the fact that the counselors took away makeup and push-up bras. Every bit of it was ridiculous.
It also didn't seem very paranormal to me, the werewolf aspect was so small aside from the supposed fear. And I thought it was supposed to be similar to Little Red Riding Hood, and I didn't see that at all, either.
Nothing in this book worked for me, and I even debated on DNFing three times. I’m glad it’s over. To be fair, though, I probably would have enjoyed this more when I was in middle school.

No comments:

Post a Comment