Pages

Monday, August 24, 2015

Manga Review: Alice in Murderland, Volume 1, by Kaori Yuki



Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5
Publisher: Yen Press
Release Date: June 23, 2015
Volumes: 3+
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 2.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Now! Let the "Mad Tea Party" begin!

The Kuonji clan, owner of one of the world's top conglomerates, has a tradition: Once a month, family members attend a "Mad Tea Party." But at the latest gathering, the nine Kuonji siblings in attendance are shocked to hear a pronouncement issue from the lips of their mother, Olga-

"I'd like you children to now fight one another to the death!"

As chaos erupts, Stella, the fourth daughter, loses all reason, and suddenly a whole new Stella, complete with blonde hair and blue dress, comes out to play-!!

Review:

The Kuonji family is wealthy and held high in society.  They’re a big family, the parents whom have adopted a lot of kids after a tragedy.  And they have a tea part every month, which every member has to attend.  But at the newest gathering, the parents announce that the kids are going to have to participate in a battle to the death, until only the rightful heir remains.  Because they’re some kind of vampire creatures, and this is tradition.
I really, really wanted to love this volume.  I mean, Alice in Wonderland and Kaori Yuki?  How could this not be amazing?  How can I not love this completely?  And yet… 
I do like the premise, and the way it starts is interesting.  None of the kids are really family, and they’ve all got this hidden persona or power inside them.  I like the way that Stella, the main character, transforms into Alice, and she does not give a shit at that point.  There’s violence and murder and death and consequences, as there should be.  It’s Kaori Yuki, of course.
But then there’s the fact that the battle is being dragged out for a year.  Only one person has to die in each battle, and that seems unnecessary.  Especially since they’re all living together, and yet none of the kids are really showing animosity for their parents.  I mean, the parents are making them do this, and yet the kids don’t do anything?  They could kill their parents and not each other, right?
I also don’t really get Stella’s infatuation with her brother.  I understand their connection, but after he changes, it’s kind of ruined.  I see why she would try to hold onto it, but not why she does.
I have some problems with this, but I really want to like it.  I’m going to pick up the next one, surely, but I’m iffy about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment